[Suggestion] 0.21142 Freeplay narrator cue when the water rising countdown starts?

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
well I think it's cheap in the freeplay with the unlimited access to food and compared to my 10 000 food expensive major
Those upkeep costs increase really fast. But unfortunately the cost calculation is done in a way that makes expensive ants get expensive faster.
(The cost difference between a leafcutter major ant and a leafcutter media ant increases as the upkeep modifier goes up.)
This makes it a good strategy to build the expensive ants before the upkeep starts ramping up the cost.

The upkeep cost can be explained with this:
antTileCost * upkeep

(upkeep is a simplification of the upkeep calculation. We do not have to know for this example how this is calculated.)

A major ant would cost: 150 * upkeep,
A media ant would cost: 80 * upkeep,
The cost difference is not 150 - 80 = 70, but instead is: 150 * upkeep - 80 * upkeep = 70 * upkeep
This makes the cost difference increase with upkeep, making expensive ants get really expensive really fast.

I think the upkeep can achieve the same thing by calculating like this:
antTileCost + upkeep

The cost difference between a major and media would then be: (150 + upkeep) - (80 + upkeep) = 150 - 80 = 70
The upkeep would still slow the player down, but the cost gap between different ant tiles would not change.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
yea thats right
Speed tiles are definately cheap in food cost, but the most important part is knowing where to put a speed tile. I am using a specific building style in freeplay that allows me to use speed tiles and have almost all chambers fully upgradable. (Honeycomb hexagon style building. With speed tiles forming a network though the entire nest in a way the ants are guided to walk on them.)