[Suggestion] Polygynous Ant Colonies

MsMommy

Larva
When playing Empires of the Undergrowth, you must always consider the safety of your queen. If you fail to successfully kill a hostile insect, you will certainly lose your queen. But what if there were multiple queens? This could both make the game harder but also give players second chances. I propose the idea that a level or an entire formicarium section is based around a species that is polygynous.

The game could start out with only one or two queens, and that you can maybe find other queens that have finished their nuptial flights by going into their burrows and I guess walking the queen over to your nest while defending her. With the more queens you have, the faster egg production/growing and placing ants in nurseries is but with more queens, more improvements on the colony would cost more (like nurseries, speed-up tiles, food storage, and upgrades). Multiple queens would also mean multiple targets for hostile insects to eliminate, giving you a second chance each time a queen dies.

This is just some idea I am throwing around that I think is good but if you can add on to it then please do! Thank you for reading. :)

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
It may well be that we add species with multiple queens at some point! I'm not sure what the mechanics would be but we probably wouldn't be able to allow the user to choose where they put the queens (the reason we have the queens at set locations is for balance, allowing the player to choose makes the game practically impossible to balance!).

MsMommy

Larva
It may well be that we add species with multiple queens at some point! I'm not sure what the mechanics would be but we probably wouldn't be able to allow the user to choose where they put the queens (the reason we have the queens at set locations is for balance, allowing the player to choose makes the game practically impossible to balance!).
Ah, I see! What I had thought was that there would be locations designated for the queen that the ants would have to dig out, but I'm not sure. Anyway, thanks for replying!

Talon

Queen
Makes for me more sense, if we have to fight a polygyny spezies. I suggestet a war of the pestants for the next tier. For Example: We'll controll a fire ant spezies, the foes could be yellow crazy ants. To wipe out the crazy ants, we have to kill all of their six (or more, or less) Queens.

I dont see how playing a multi queen colony would be usefull for the player, exept to have a back up Queen. Egg laying rate is not a factor in the game. Most important for reproduction is the number of worker ants.