[Suggestion] Simple plant growth animation (for some plants) so plants can be spawned on-screen?

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
For what I have heared the plants can only spawn somewhere when the player(s) are/is not looking there, maybe a simple growth animation for plants can make it so that spawning them on-screen looks normal enough for them to do so?
Plants would start out just underground, the growth animation would be the plant getting bigger and the leaves unfolding (slowly tilting from vertical to horizontal) and getting bigger too, until it is in its final form and stops growning. After being fully grown it could be harvested.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Only problem is that this would also need to be done for landmarks.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Only problem is that this would also need to be done for landmarks.
If you mean by "landmarks" the plant landmarks, then the landmark itself can spawn on-screen as it starts with no (visible) plants, plants would grow from the plants landmark until the landmark stop growing them. If the landmark causes a shading effect on the ground, it should be possible to fade it in?

If you meant the other landmarks, then I don't know...
Some could have a fade-in effect as well maybe?
Aphid farms having the plant grow and the roots fade in? When the landmark is complete the aphids start spawning? (I don't know how that would look though.)
The funnelweb spiders' webs fading in as soon as the spider enters it? (The reverse of the web fading out when the spider dies in mission 1.2)
As for the fish... Err... it fell from the sky? (A seagull took it out of the water and dropped it? Better not try catching it!)
And infestation can just spawn on-screen, as its creatures spawn at the portals.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
It would be nice, but I highly doubt we'll be doing any actual animation like unfolding leaves (seems inordinately time consuming for a simple cosmetic effect). We might be able to do something like a simple dither fade in / out for leaf landmarks.

Before we attempt anything like this, we're leaving them as normal landmarks but giving leafcutters a 25% increase in active landmarks. We'll see what the effect of that is.