Suggestion: Tile filling

Hello,

Loving the game sofar and the direction its heading. I would kindly like to suggest we be able to "fill in" Tiles (Costing territory points). click for dig, SHIFT-click for build

This will allow players to creat amazing Nests / hives and also let me "hide" my queen by not having a direct rout to her from the surface. *grumbles* The Queen is your most important Ant. All tunnels should lead to your queen eventually. But not the First one.

I agree with filling in tiles! I know every does this but maybe it's something we have to earn through progress?

Yup. For every say 10 Territory earned you can fill in 2 or something like that. as i see it, filling is much more "powerful" than digging also for balance reasons you cannot "wall off" your queen, she must always have a path to the surface. With filling in, we can make that Path Quite long ^_^

I would also like to say, If we're getting the ability to Move our queen. im quite happy without Filling tiles. If we're NEVER getting a moveable queen Filling tiles please! :)

Michelle

The ability to move ur queen would be awesome and a little less stressful since you can have time to respawn for ants to defend after a big loss in ur nest.

Maybe our dear leaf cutters could serve that purpose, seeing as they scheduled for the next bigger update. Also they are quiet proficient construction workers.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Both moving queen and tile filling are currently not in for technical reasons as well as gameplay ones. Our main inspiration for the game was Dungeon Keeper, so the static queen acts as a dungeon heart. Secondly, a moving queen would mean a lot more calculations having to be done to the pathing the ants take to get eggs / move back and forth between her and the end of their nest, causing performance issues. There are in fact engine limits to how far the ants can safely path before strange behaviours start to manifest.

Tile filling would encourage turtling tactics which would unbalance in particular the RTS formicarium levels, but they may have more of a place in a freeplay mode.

Ensiege

Worker
That's disappointing to hear about the tile filling. You could make it so that a path to the surface must always be available, and nest tiles can never be cut off from each other..?

At least in the formicarium, its very easy to screw up your nest. All the same, I've started a new formicarium, for like the 12th time, so its fine... but its so easy to accidently dig the wrong tile and suddenly your workers decide to travel past a skirmish in order to drop eggs.