Swim bladders?

I've just encountered a creature that genuinely resembles a fish and it made me realize something: They kind of swim like fish with a swim bladder disease. I have had a number of creatures that would have been practically graceful if it weren't for their complete inability to stay upright so I'm wondering if a creatures only control over its orientation is entirely down to its muscle movements? And if so, would it be a good idea to implement some means for them to evolve a swim bladder that would help them to right themselves like a real fish would have?

Tom Johnson

Worker
Developer of Ecosystem
I've just encountered a creature that genuinely resembles a fish and it made me realize something: They kind of swim like fish with a swim bladder disease. I have had a number of creatures that would have been practically graceful if it weren't for their complete inability to stay upright so I'm wondering if a creatures only control over its orientation is entirely down to its muscle movements? And if so, would it be a good idea to implement some means for them to evolve a swim bladder that would help them to right themselves like a real fish would have?
I like that idea! Sometimes it is hard to tell exactly what is causing something to look 'wrong' overall. That could be a big part of it. I ran a test last year to correct creatures' orientations but ended up shelving it because for some reason it seemed to interfere with their steering ability. I will maybe come back to it, and see if I can make that work and if it helps the creatures look more natural. Thanks for the suggestion.

SJK

Larva
Music / Sound - Ecosystem
That’s a good observation. Balance is an important trait to have. I wonder if it would interfere with steering ability if the trait came in after a certain number of evolution cycles. When the brain develops more.