The Leafcutter Update - Out Now!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
We're very pleased to announce that our first major update for Empires of the Undergrowth, the Leafcutter Update, is now available for Windows, Mac & Linux! Featuring an all-new rain forest environment with new critters of all sizes, two new levels which will see you face off against fully-fledged colonies, and a new Formicarium Challenge where the dastardly scientists have something special planned for you.

The jungle floor stirs. Ants of all sizes creep out of their holes to harvest the nearby foliage, travelling far and wide to find the choicest leaves. The odds are stacked against these fledgling colonies - you may be tempted to discount creatures that forage for leaves but with huge crushing mandibles on their side, they are not to be underestimated.

Follow this link to read the full patch notes!

I might be doing something wrong but the second level seems to take ages. Right as I’m about to push the army back enough, swarms of other insects come and block off every source of plants. Then I can’t get leaves then my ants slowly die from fighting and they can’t be replaced because I can’t collect leaves and it’s a constant cycle. I’ve managed to survive by just waiting it out and going around the outside of the map in between day and night when the outside is almost unguarded and retreating when the outside is too crowded while waiting for my army to rebuild then I go out to try and clear the outside for a path to plants and we get swarmed by thousands of other bugs (not army ants they aren’t much of a problem for me at this point) this has been going on for hours now eventually I’ll collect all the plants (because plants don’t grow back which they should) and I’ll eventually be forced to give up on the level and restart. The first level was really fun once I got a hang of it

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I might be doing something wrong but the second level seems to take ages. Right as I’m about to push the army back enough, swarms of other insects come and block off every source of plants. Then I can’t get leaves then my ants slowly die from fighting and they can’t be replaced because I can’t collect leaves and it’s a constant cycle. I’ve managed to survive by just waiting it out and going around the outside of the map in between day and night when the outside is almost unguarded and retreating when the outside is too crowded while waiting for my army to rebuild then I go out to try and clear the outside for a path to plants and we get swarmed by thousands of other bugs (not army ants they aren’t much of a problem for me at this point) this has been going on for hours now eventually I’ll collect all the plants (because plants don’t grow back which they should) and I’ll eventually be forced to give up on the level and restart. The first level was really fun once I got a hang of it
What difficulty are you on? There's generally a certain threshold you need to be at for different points of time in order to be able to take new areas. If you're not ahead enough, you won't be able to expand, leading to a slow but certain loss.

E
What difficulty are you on? There's generally a certain threshold you need to be at for different points of time in order to be able to take new areas. If you're not ahead enough, you won't be able to expand, leading to a slow but certain loss.
easy lol I was doing great when the plants were around me but as soon as I tried to get the plants further away every huge bug guarded them (mantis, whip spiders, and those crickets mostly) and I couldn’t get to the plants to keep my army going so I could take on the army ants

I am now stuck in my nest with mantises around the entrance and no nearby plants so I can’t do anything but I’m gonna keep waiting until I can some how get plants or until I get killed

It turned night and a mantis ran over to the entrance and killed it but the game isn’t recognizing that it died and it still says I have 1 worker left

Oh nvm apparently the worker duplicated itself because now there’s a worker inside the nest that didn’t spawn cause I have no fungus or leaves

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
You need more majors for sure. They're the most combat-effective caste, and 3.2 requires lots of combat.

That wasn’t the problem it’s the fact that when we ran out of leaves all the big insects guarded the plants and as we slowly died from normal battles with stuff we couldn’t replace them and when we tried to get more there was hundreds of bugs at the plants and whenever I placed a marker at an unguarded plant a swarm of mantises would suddenly spawn near THAT exact plant and wait for me

Dionaea

Larva
On a side note, Nice touch putting a Pinguicula plant in the Formicarum.

I grow carnivourous plants in the garden as a hobby (and some in the house) so seeing that little carnivourous plant made me all exited

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
That wasn’t the problem it’s the fact that when we ran out of leaves all the big insects guarded the plants and as we slowly died from normal battles with stuff we couldn’t replace them and when we tried to get more there was hundreds of bugs at the plants and whenever I placed a marker at an unguarded plant a swarm of mantises would suddenly spawn near THAT exact plant and wait for me

You're not building refuse chambers near where ants walk through are you? That will cause sickness that severely weakens your ants.

No I made a tunnel away from the ants and made the chamber there almost no ants walked on it it’s just the bugs swarming he plants I would share them here but my phone says the pictures and videos are too big files to be sent