The Leafcutter Update - Out Now!

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Anyone know what the woodworm in 3.1 are supposed to represent?
Pretty sure they're just there as a way of telling the player you can't eat creatures. There's also this M tiger beetle corpse to the west of the nest entrance for some reason. No idea why that was put there.

These new levels were amazing! I love the new enemies and food system.
These are probably some of the coolest level designs so far, with all the unique mechanics and so much enemy variety.

Mr_Ced

Colony
My favorite aspect of the new levels is how much terrain there is to explore. So many nooks and crannys to find and harvest food from!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Anyone know what the woodworm in 3.1 are supposed to represent?

Up until now players have been used to eating creatures as the primary source of food in the campaign levels. This is a simple way of training the player that they can't eat creatures now, and the narrator then says "This budding Atta cephalotes leafcutter colony has only one viable source of food, and it must be collected above ground". It makes the player think about the name "leafcutter" and we hope the player makes the connection!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
There's also this M tiger beetle corpse to the west of the nest entrance for some reason. No idea why that was put there.

An efficient way to start a new level is to duplicate an old one, delete the old stuff then start again. Means a bunch of tedious setup tasks are already done. In this case, John accidentally left that tiger beetle carcass in there. We were going to delete it but left it in as a little easter egg.

A cool guy

Worker
OMG. I am so unlucky. MY STUPID COMPUTER BROKE THE DAY BEFORE UPDATE. So sorry that I couldn't enjoy the update, but I did see Balanite play again. How does he beat the levels on insane so easily? xD Anyways, thank you for the update. :D

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
OMG. I am so unlucky. MY STUPID COMPUTER BROKE THE DAY BEFORE UPDATE. So sorry that I couldn't enjoy the update, but I did see Balanite play again. How does he beat the levels on insane so easily? xD Anyways, thank you for the update. :D
He's just good, tbh. 3.1 in particular requires loads of fast planning and reacting, which is something he's particularly good at. This happened with 1.2 as well, way back, where it was the one level in the game I couldn't do on insane (barely could do it on hard), while Balanite nailed insane after only a short while. It took me at least a month of on-and-off attempts to eventually be able to win every single time. Given how difficult 3.1 is, I'm not even sure when I'll get my first win on it.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
He's just good, tbh. 3.1 in particular requires loads of fast planning and reacting, which is something he's particularly good at. This happened with 1.2 as well, way back, where it was the one level in the game I couldn't do on insane (barely could do it on hard), while Balanite nailed insane after only a short while. It took me at least a month of on-and-off attempts to eventually be able to win every single time. Given how difficult 3.1 is, I'm not even sure when I'll get my first win on it.

Just got back into the Eotu and was able to beat 1.2 on insane on my first try in a long time. All you have to do nowadays is look up Balanite's video, write down the amount of workers and soldiers he has at every single wave, and meet those numbers. 1.2 is in fact, with this method of beating it, the easiest level in the game!

A cool guy

Worker
Rayalot, me too! Subjugation was kind of hard because there isn't a very clear order in which the enemy ants appear, so you could've opened up spider nests right before the countdown for the raid. But I can do that on insane now, because that was like 6 months of practice xD.

Raptorofwar

Queen
Backer
1.2 on insane is actually really easy. Harvest all the easy food, throw down worker tiles in front of the sanguinea tunnels as a distraction, then go to the top left. Ignore the funnel web spider; keep on tunneling and open up the devil's coach horse larva. If you do it just right, the larva will get snapped up by the funnel web, which will then be killed by the larva. There should be maybe 3 larva left guarding an absolute treasure trove of food. Steamroll your way to victory; you can easily do this before the scout arrives.