Tiger beetle larvae stuck on the ground

pakitane16

Colony
In campaign, after grabbing an ant, tiger beetle larvae sometimes gets stuck on the ground and cannot retreat to its hole or moving at all (about 1/10 chances). It become sniping target after that. This only happen to non-attacking worker, never happen to any soldier caste or enemy. Is it normal?

In campaign, after grabbing an ant, tiger beetle larvae sometimes gets stuck on the ground and cannot retreat to its hole or moving at all (about 1/10 chances). It become sniping target after that. This only happen to non-attacking worker, never happen to any soldier caste or enemy. Is it normal?
Don't think so

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Please try to get some screenshots of this if it happens - I can't recall seeing it on my playthroughs. Screenshots are always useful when diagnosing problems.

pakitane16

Colony
I think I know what is wrong now. This happens when I play on my laptop, and it's not really optimised for gaming so I think it failed loading the burrow in. Play the game on a better computer and I don't see this happens anymore.

Please try to get some screenshots of this if it happens - I can't recall seeing it on my playthroughs. Screenshots are always useful when diagnosing problems.
Bu the way Mike, did you know that in the level 2:1, the Tiger beetle larva actually attack the enemy ants as well? IF THIS IS A BUG.... I LIKE IT!!! PLZ DON'T GET RID OF IT. Thanks:)

pakitane16

Colony
Bu the way Mike, did you know that in the level 2:1, the Tiger beetle larva actually attack the enemy ants as well? IF THIS IS A BUG.... I LIKE IT!!! PLZ DON'T GET RID OF IT. Thanks:)
I'll just quote Mike then: please try to get some screenshots, I don't see this in my playthrough. :D I think enemy ants are ignored in 2.1

I'll just quote Mike then: please try to get some screenshots, I don't see this in my playthrough. :D I think enemy ants are ignored in 2.1
No I don't think it is a bug. You can also see it in 2.2 if the larvae spawn too close to the enemy ants path and you leave the larvae there. Very effective at stalling parts of their army when they both come to attack you at the same time because the larvae will kill some of their ants and hold a few back at the same time. Mind you I haven't played 2.2 for a while; I'd have to check if that still happens.

pakitane16

Colony
Enemy ants are ignored in 2.1 but not in 2.2. Yes that stalling trick is useful, especially when those larvae get stuck on the ground. I didn't even metion 2.2 lol.
There is a pattern, like in 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 everything team up to fight you, while in 1.2, 2.2, 3.2 they fight you and against each other.

pakitane16

Colony
I also see tiger beetle larvae stuck on the ground in Rayalot's insane video at 35:48. I used mortar like him.

Last edited:

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Enemy ants are ignored in 2.1 but not in 2.2. Yes that stalling trick is useful, especially when those larvae get stuck on the ground. I didn't even metion 2.2 lol.
There is a pattern, like in 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 everything team up to fight you, while in 1.2, 2.2, 3.2 they fight you and against each other.
In 3.1 the opposing leafcutters are hostile to the environment. So that pattern seems to not be there, sorry.
I think it has to do with factions. To me it looks like the player is their own faction, the environment is their own faction, and on some missions the opponent is their own faction (e.g. the 3.2 army ants). (I'm guessing there also is a 2nd environment faction where those unlucky jungle creatures are in that get ganged up on by the others.) Creatures within a faction do not attack each other, but are hostile to all else.
I think the ants in mission 2.1 are not ants ants. They don't belong to an ant faction, instead they belong to the environment faction and are not attacked by the tigerbeetle larvae therefor.
This is all guesswork, so please correct it where needed.

pakitane16

Colony
In 3.1 the opposing leafcutters are hostile to the environment. So that pattern seems to not be there, sorry.
Yes but other creatures purposely avoid enemy leafcutter harvest trail for most of the level, they only clash when the leafcutter send their attack team near the end so it gives the feeling that they are in peace with each other.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Yes but other creatures purposely avoid enemy leafcutter harvest trail for most of the level, they only clash when the leafcutter send their attack team near the end so it gives the feeling that they are in peace with each other.
I haven't seen them purposely avoiding the opposing leafcutters. But I did notice the enemies spawn mostly on the player's side of the level.

pakitane16

Colony
Bad wording, I meant they even spawn on the enemy side in area that doesn't have their harvest trail, and despawn quickly when harvest trail come, giving the enemy advantage.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Bad wording, I meant they even spawn on the enemy side in area that doesn't have their harvest trail, and despawn quickly when harvest trail come, giving the enemy advantage.
I haven't seen them doing that. But it does make sense for them to do something like that. The AI opponent in 3.1 is very underdeveloped and fragile. An easy way to defeat them is to eco with minors then get majors and send them to camp the AI's nest entrance. After a few waves of enemy ants their food runs out. You can just walk in and kill the queen after that. (But do beware the enemy offmap major spawns)

I haven't seen them purposely avoiding the opposing leafcutters. But I did notice the enemies spawn mostly on the player's side of the level.
Actually, for me, that does seem to be the total opposite about what you said about there being more non-ant enemys on the player side.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Actually, for me, that does seem to be the total opposite about what you said about there being more non-ant enemys on the player side.
You are right.
I've played 3.1 on normal difficulty and the environment creatures indeed spawn more on the far side of the map. They do however not spawn near or try to not come into contact with the AI colony (by moving away for example). This way the player is fighting the environment enemies whenever they try to harvest leaves on the far side of the map.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
The whole movement system is in the process of being redone so hopefully these sort of things will become less likely. That said the new one is gonna need a lot of testing.