"whale falls"?

I'm curious, I know scavengers are planned, but a phenomenon I'd really like to see portrayed ingame is the whale fall.

Maybe when a large filter feeding species dies of natural causes, it's body can sink to the bottom, creating a "feeding spot", kind of like the way plants function ingame but finite, for carnivores, scavengers, and crustaceans to pick at until it's depleted

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I'm curious, I know scavengers are planned, but a phenomenon I'd really like to see portrayed ingame is the whale fall.

Maybe when a large filter feeding species dies of natural causes, it's body can sink to the bottom, creating a "feeding spot", kind of like the way plants function ingame but finite, for carnivores, scavengers, and crustaceans to pick at until it's depleted
Yes, this is in the plan! I intend to support simulating deep sea environments and think having creatures evolve to live in the darkness would be especially interesting. I'm hoping to implement both vent communities and whale falls as part of this. I like your description and the idea of establishing filter feeding species closer to the surface as a kind of pre-requisite food source for the creatures in the deep. I think it's quite likely I will be able to add this (or some form of it); thanks for the suggestion.