Who would win?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Hmmm... tricky question. I guess it depends how well the anteater's fur protects it from the stings.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Nobody, because anteaters barely eat ants. In fact they usually eat termites.

AntsAreAwesome

Worker
Backer
Depends. 5 bullet ants? No. 20 bullet ants? Yes. Even with the 5 they would scare off the anteater because of their VERY painful sting.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
There is no "giant colony of bullet ants". Bullet ant colonies comprise of a few hundred ants, rarely breaking the 1000. Nothing compared to most Carpenter ants (Camponotus pennsylcanicus, barbarcius, herculeanus and ligniperda can grow to multiple tenthousands) or Driver ants or Grascutter ants (both can grow into the millions).

Also bullet ants mostly live ON TREES and giant anteaters can't climb very well (the smaller anteaters can but the giant anteater forages in open areas).

Colonies consist of several hundred individuals and are usually situated at the bases of trees. Workers forage arboreally in the area directly above the nest for small arthropods and nectar, often as far as the upper canopy; little foraging occurs on the forest floor.

Also:
Alex Wild provides the following notes on the sting of this ant:

"I was stung by a bullet ant last week in Costa Rica. On purpose. How did it feel? Bearable. Given this species’ fearsome reputation, I was expecting worse. It certainly hurt, though."

Planemaster

Worker
Wait, I believe I got this mixed up between bullet ants and driver ants :-[

I'm now pretty sure it's driver ants whose colonies are absolutely massive.

MartialisHeureka

Worker
Backer
Beta Tester
Strangely enough, the anteaters most people think of actually eat more termites than ants. This said, nothing messes with either army or driver ants. Driver ants have powerful mandibles which can even puncture human flesh! They've been known to take small animals as prey.

Planemaster

Worker
Both species are scary things!

But lets be honest, we all want to see what would happen in said situation, a creature that is designed to eat ants (or termites as you put it) versus a stupidly unstoppable, insatiable force that ravages through everything it comes across.

its pretty obvious its the massive force of driver ants that will win, I've watched a few documentaries about driver ants and they demolish everything. I've also heard that elephants can be scared of massive colonies, though i cant quite declare that is true

Planemaster said:
Both species are scary things!
i dont think an ant eater would be very scary but than again, he did say giant