Will idle ants walk through refuse chambers?

If there were a group of minors in the nest and they idley just walk into a refuse chamber (with fungus wast) do they get sick? Because it wouldn't be fair on the player if all the nest group ants or any ants (other than minums) who decide to walk through them get sick it would be chaos.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
They might wonder in and suffer sickness, but will definitely go in and suffer sickness to upgrade the tiles. The trick is to keep the refuse chamber a good long distance away from everything else if you can, so only minims depositing waste go in it. You definitely don't want it as a side chamber on your main path.

They might wonder in and suffer sickness, but will definitely go in and suffer sickness to upgrade the tiles. The trick is to keep the refuse chamber a good long distance away from everything else if you can, so only minims depositing waste go in it. You definitely don't want it as a side chamber on your main path.
Maybe the develepors can quickly tweak the upgrading refuse chambers a bit so when you do upgrade them only the minums go and upgrade the refuse chambers. But then it makes the levels easier and some people love that extra challenge.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Minims don't do upgrade jobs though, only leaf and refuse jobs. It would be inconsistent and therefore confusing to have the minims upgrade only refuse chambers.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Just give the minors a status effect that grants 10 seconds of invulnerability to the refuse chamber damage if they start upgrading a refuse chamber tile. That should do the job.

About idling ants - I think there should be less movement from idle ants in general. Idle ants usually don't move that much IRL and it just puts ton of unnecessary strain on the system when it tries to do pathfinding for a blob of 200 idle ants. You can add some idle animations instead (like ants cleaning their antennae, legs, butts, etc.). That saves a ton of processing power makes it look more realistic and adorable at the same time.

Just give the minors a status effect that grants 10 seconds of invulnerability to the refuse chamber damage if they start upgrading a refuse chamber tile. That should do the job.

About idling ants - I think there should be less movement from idle ants in general. Idle ants usually don't move that much IRL and it just puts ton of unnecessary strain on the system when it tries to do pathfinding for a blob of 200 idle ants. You can add some idle animations instead (like ants cleaning their ae, legs, butts, etc.). That saves a ton of processing power makes it look more realistic and adorable at the same time.
Yes, but then the nest could get very deserted in some parts. it's nice when the idle ants go and occupy some of it so there spread out a little more instead of being all tightly packed in one place. But I like your idea of them cleaning themselves it makes it look a lot more realistic!

About idling ants - I think there should be less movement from idle ants in general. Idle ants usually don't move that much IRL and it just puts ton of unnecessary strain on the system when it tries to do pathfinding for a blob of 200 idle ants. You can add some idle animations instead (like ants cleaning their antennae, legs, butts, etc.). That saves a ton of processing power makes it look more realistic and adorable at the same time.

i think that would be the best also it would save some Fps also i bet people are going to make noice screenshots of em