Multiplayer Would Be Sick

I think multiplayer with like an xp leveling system would be cool like you can level up individual colonies kind of like the fornicarium and you get more 'royal jelly' for winning matches, team modes as well as ffa. Also a rank matching system or something so advanced players don't get matched with noobs.

I know in the past it was said multiplayer won't be worked on until single player is done and officially released -- I'm just pointing out the fact that this could be a really good and addictive multiplayer game.

MedinB

Colony
I know, right!? The issue is it might take a while, and it may never happen. If it were to be added, what about a potential chat system of sorts? Although, right now, the game needs to be finished. Could be considered post-release.

Last edited:
I think multiplayer with like an xp leveling system would be cool like you can level up individual colonies kind of like the fornicarium and you get more 'royal jelly' for winning matches, team modes as well as ffa. Also a rank matching system or something so advanced players don't get matched with noobs.

I know in the past it was said multiplayer won't be worked on until single player is done and officially released -- I'm just pointing out the fact that this could be a really good and addictive multiplayer game.
Yeah! The multiplayer level could be set up the way level 3:1 is: Have 2 colonies at top and bottom edge of map and a bit of a dip in the middle!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Multiplayer is a long way off if we do it (we'd like to, but can''t say we will), but we have to manage some expectations here - to begin with at least it would just be a simple skirmish mode. We don't have the resources of larger titles to make advanced rankings or experience systems that aren't open to rampant cheating.

Mr_Ced

Colony
I think that people with more wins should be matched with people that have the same amount at least. It would prevent a lot of crazy good players from destroying newcomers.

I think that people with more wins should be matched with people that have the same amount at least. It would prevent a lot of crazy good players from destroying newcomers.
I'd definitely play multiplayer it would be quite interesting. But killing each others queens could be quite hard if one colony does the guard the entrance strategy. Might need objectives on the map to shake things up

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Of course the different species in the game are not completely balanced, so maybe a multiplayer sandbox mode where a fusca player could go against a leaf cutter player.

All we gotta do is get the ring of big youtubers to play it
Exactly! There's a You Tuber called BarronVonGames who is pretty famous and he already plays this game. So maybe you could go out there, meet more famous YoyTubers and ask them to play you're game and pretty soon you'll have millions people who know about it! Just a suggestion.
But you've got to ask the right ones though! Some of them do scary games, creative game, and stratagy games
Multiplayer is a long way off if we do it (we'd like to, but can''t say we will), but we have to manage some expectations here - to begin with at least it would just be a simple skirmish mode. We don't have the resources of larger titles to make advanced rankings or experience systems that aren't open to rampant cheating.
Exactly! So perhaps you should go out there, meet famous YouTubers, and get them to play your game! But remember to pick the right ones though because some play creative games, scary games, and strategy games.

To prevent the guard the entrance strategy there could be pretty much poop around the map that you can drop into the enemies nest and it effects ants like the refuge chamber.

Mr_Ced

Colony
To prevent the guard the entrance strategy there could be pretty much poop around the map that you can drop into the enemies nest and it effects ants like the refuge chamber.
Actually, hiding in your nest during a fight will enable the opposing colony to camp your entrance and have the entire map to themselves.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Mr Ced is right, camping in the nest is not an op strategy, and a smart opponent can quickly take advantage of it. I don't think turtling is a strategy that has to be prevented.

Blitz674

Worker
I'd definitely play multiplayer it would be quite interesting. But killing each others queens could be quite hard if one colony does the guard the entrance strategy. Might need objectives on the map to shake things up
I agree. There should be some kind of controll point that give ur ants something like the army ant ability (after about 5 seconds of fighting, gain attack speed and damage). Or there could be multiple controll points.(for example one for the level 3 formicarioum abilities).

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I didn't mean it needed to be prevented. But it would stall the game and make the gameplay less fun.
By camping the nest entrance on the underground side the defender indeed has a great advantage. It seems the combat width is not even. The defenders can bite with many more than the attackers can at any given moment during an entrance defence. The enemies arriving in the nest also appear to move a very short distance from the nest entrance before attacking/navigating. (Please correct me if I am wrong.) Something that might make storming the nest more worthwhile for the attacker is if their ants group up on the nest entrance (outside) before storming in as one big group in the hope of overwhelming the defenders. (Since grouping up takes time it might give the opponent an option to try and break the siege by rushing out.)

Since all attackers enter the nest at the same spot/area the rufa ant lvl 3 mortar can annihilate them within seconds. In open battles the lvl 3 mortar is less effective but still very strong in larger fights. The rapidfire rufa is single target so it has fixed damage potential, but the mortar has no upper limit to their damage potential. (No limit to the number of enemies packed together, all get hit for the full amount of damage.) A simple way to limit mortar damage potential might be to limit the number of targets that can be hit with the same attack. Another way could be changing the immediate damage to a non-stacking damage over time effect of the ants being covered in formic acid, then again however you'd get the limitless potential.

(Just some thought experiments. Do with this information as you like. Please correct me where I am wrong and most importantly, please explain to me why I am wrong or why you disagree.)

Mr_Ced

Colony
By camping the nest entrance on the underground side the defender indeed has a great advantage. It seems the combat width is not even. The defenders can bite with many more than the attackers can at any given moment during an entrance defence. The enemies arriving in the nest also appear to move a very short distance from the nest entrance before attacking/navigating. (Please correct me if I am wrong.) Something that might make storming the nest more worthwhile for the attacker is if their ants group up on the nest entrance (outside) before storming in as one big group in the hope of overwhelming the defenders. (Since grouping up takes time it might give the opponent an option to try and break the siege by rushing out.)

Since all attackers enter the nest at the same spot/area the rufa ant lvl 3 mortar can annihilate them within seconds. In open battles the lvl 3 mortar is less effective but still very strong in larger fights. The rapidfire rufa is single target so it has fixed damage potential, but the mortar has no upper limit to their damage potential. (No limit to the number of enemies packed together, all get hit for the full amount of damage.) A simple way to limit mortar damage potential might be to limit the number of targets that can be hit with the same attack. Another way could be changing the immediate damage to a non-stacking damage over time effect of the ants being covered in formic acid, then again however you'd get the limitless potential.

(Just some thought experiments. Do with this information as you like. Please correct me where I am wrong and most importantly, please explain to me why I am wrong or why you disagree.)
The opposing player could camp the entrance on the outside if the player does this, and if they have mortars, the effect would be the same.

pakitane16

Colony
With how the ants are programmed to go back to nest to create a trail when they idle, nest camping will always be a prior choice. I have only 70% ants in regroup moving to the other side of free play map, the others run back or stuck fighting critters. Other RTS games prevent camping with non renewable resource, forcing you to expand and we can attack enemy in any possible direction. In this game, anything moving near nest that's not ants is food, and we can get into enemy nest in only one direction they make us. It gonna need a lot of change to make multiplayer viable.