Bug, the beetles can block the mouseover when trying to clean a waste in the nest

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
to replicate it just try to clean the nest of wastes while beetles are in front of it
I am guessing the reason it happens is because the mouse-over detection collides with the beetle first (beetle is infront of the trash item) and since the beetle can process that mouse-over it is disposed there? (I have no game programming experience, I'd still like to guess and see if I am right or not.)
Beetles give their exp as mouse-over action.

FranzIocane

Larva
Developer of Beetle Uprising
I am guessing the reason it happens is because the mouse-over detection collides with the beetle first (beetle is infront of the trash item) and since the beetle can process that mouse-over it is disposed there? (I have no game programming experience, I'd still like to guess and see if I am right or not.)
Beetles give their exp as mouse-over action.
Yep. One of the efficient ways to collect XP from them is just leave your mouse over the nest exit as they walk through. Slick! We'd discussed possibly having a device like the scratching post that could scrub the XPs from them. I don't remember exactly why we didn't. Time?

Yep. One of the efficient ways to collect XP from them is just leave your mouse over the nest exit as they walk through. Slick! We'd discussed possibly having a device like the scratching post that could scrub the XPs from them. I don't remember exactly why we didn't. Time?
it would definitely be needed as there's even many beetles that give xp on mouseover while they aren't sparkling

DarrinIocane

Larva
That's right. The sparkle draws your eye to Beetles that have maxed-out their built-up/internal XP. If you don't scratch those ones, you're losing out on further build-up. But every Beetle is building XP at all times. Thus, the non-maxed ones can also be scratched. You just don't get a full chunk off them. I guess, technically, the optimal would be to not wait until they sparkle (and lose a tiny bit of progress). But that would be totally OCD. Maybe not a bad game design trade off.

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I wasn't paying attention at tooltip school clearly. I didn't realise I got XP from touching the beetles at all!

DarrinIocane

Larva
If you look carefully, the little blue and white confetti is supposed to be angling over to the blue XP meter which counts up. (Or it was when the XP meter was in the right hand corner. I'll make a note to double check that.)