Game breaking bug when breeding low numbers of beetles

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
If I juice my 4th beetle while breeding, the breeding UI displays the wrong beetle in the top left panel and is unable to breed. This is not so bad as it resolves itself by going to the nest and back again.

However, I just juiced a 3rd beetle (leaving two) whilst in the breeding menu and attempted to breed the two remaining beetles. No beetles have appeared in the 9 panels but the UI seems to think they have. I can't get out of this situation now.
bubug.jpg

DarrinIocane

Larva
Developer of Beetle Uprising
I've unsuccessfully tried to repro this a number of ways. If you could remember the exact steps, it would be so helpful. I see from your screen that you've got one baby, and no beetles out on tasks. None of that should be an issue.

Do you recall if you had just recently loaded a saved game? Or you'd been playing this game for awhile?

Did you try (or succeed) in leaving the breeding screen without selecting an offspring, somehow? E.g. escape menu, quit, ... (It shouldn't be possible; I'm wondering if that's where the hole is, and the UI state is just wrong).

You're mentioning juicing. Do you remember which beetles were selected for breeding, when you juiced; and which beetle you juiced? When you say 4th, then 3rd, you mean the most right-hand one in the list. It appears the top parent is selected, so it is the one that gets juiced and automatically replaced.

At this point, I'm betting Unity threw an error during the breeding, and failed to display the offspring (but they are really there. I'll have to think about what kind of exception catching we want in that case. We don't want to eat up your goop without giving you something.

It would be great if you could send us the Unity log/error log.

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I was playing for a while. I think the two problems that I mentioned may be related in some way. I've only just noticed but if you look at the screenshot, the beetle named "SomethingGrit5" has different stats in the beetle selector and in the breeding menu. I'm guessing that the stats are from a beetle that I had just juiced.

I think this is the log file:

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    217.3 KB · Views: 2

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I've just tried and I can't repeat the issue easily, but I don't think it's random. This comment that I made:
If I juice my 4th beetle while breeding, the breeding UI displays the wrong beetle in the top left panel and is unable to breed. This is not so bad as it resolves itself by going to the nest and back again.
That was happening very regularly, so much so that I had gotten used to the behaviour and convinced myself that it had always been a problem, so it sounds like I had triggered something persistent for that play session.

DarrinIocane

Larva
Liam, thanks! That log file has several very interesting problems showing. Some Beetles appear to exist with Null stats, internally, which should be impossible, of course. That shows up several times in the log. Eventually, it appears you breed using that corrupt beetle, and several further errors follow from that.

Without an exact repro case, we'll try to look for code around the exception and see if we can imagine how that first problem occurs.

From the log, it appears you loaded an existing game, and then did not quit or reload any other save game during that session. That's helpful to know, as well, since the game started from a clean state.

DarrinIocane

Larva
that one also happened to me, I had to alt+f4 to get out and then I deleted the save file because each time I went back it locked me back
If that kind of thing happens again (a reproducible crash/hang from a given save file), we'd *love* to have a copy of the save file (and saved beetles, if possible) so we could load it up ourselves and zero in on the issue.

DarrinIocane

Larva
that one also happened to me, I had to alt+f4 to get out and then I deleted the save file because each time I went back it locked me back

I just put up a new build that I believe addresses the grayed-out parents while breeding-and-juicing. I think that will address this "locked out" issue on the breeding screen. Again, if that ever happens, please get us a copy of the log file, because I'm certain the only way that can happen is if something is throwing an exception.