Ant keeping help

Blitz674

Worker
Major ant I was going on a run and a came by this ant. Looks like a bigger version of the other worker ants I saw in the colony I was observing. I'm 99 present sure it was a Camponotus major. My faith that I have a Camponotus queen is restored

Blitz674

Worker
I'd say it's either Camponotus novaeboracensis or Camponotus herculeanus. Definitely Camponotus though.
For antkeeping purposes it doesn't really matter, care is exactly the same - the main difference is that C. novae will slow down (and finally stop) growing after it has a few thousand workers, while C. herc will really ramp up brood production in year 3-4 and over the following years grow into the tenthousands.

Yes, pretty much all Camponotus species are very polymorphic.
There's only a few rare species that lack majors (the biggest worker class).
My queen is picking at the cotton at the exit. Should I be worried about this?

AntBoi

Soldier
I'm not exactly sure..But it might mean she is uncomfortable and wants to get out..
Check the test tube to see if there is something wrong.
If you find nothing wrong, then leave her alone in the darkness.
It might help.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
My queen is picking at the cotton at the exit. Should I be worried about this?
No, that's normal for Camponotus queens. They often pick pieces from the dry cotton to make themselves a place to poop (later the workers will use the cotton to weave garbage into some sort of fabric).
Just cover the tube and give her a month or two in a calm place.

Blitz674

Worker
No, that's normal for Camponotus queens. They often pick pieces from the dry cotton to make themselves a place to poop (later the workers will use the cotton to weave garbage into some sort of fabric).
Just cover the tube and give her a month or two in a calm place.
Thanks!