bioluminescent animals

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
if there will be a texture for fish that they can get when evolve and it will be bioluminescent like the lanternfish skin
One of the big things I am hoping to add to the game soon is higher-level traits for the creatures, and bioluminescence is first on my list. I'll definitely make sure it gets in.

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Something like jellyfish would be great!
I'd really like to be able to support jellyfish too! Unfortunately they are tricky because the way the swim is more complicated and the fluid sim may not be quite complex enough for it to work (and making the sim more complex may degrade performance to the point where you couldn't simulate many creatures at once). Their transluscent skin would add some overhead to the rendering if there is a large population of them too. So it may not be possible, but it's on my wishlist and it's good to know that other people would like it as well.

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
or more clear just adding something like radial symmetry
I'll try that out. When I was experimenting with making creatures more likely to have bilateral symmetry, I found that initial conditions made a big difference, so it may be that just making radial symmetry more likely in the initial random seeding would be enough to do the trick. I appreciate the suggestion.

I'd really like to be able to support jellyfish too! Unfortunately they are tricky because the way the swim is more complicated and the fluid sim may not be quite complex enough for it to work (and making the sim more complex may degrade performance to the point where you couldn't simulate many creatures at once). Their transluscent skin would add some overhead to the rendering if there is a large population of them too. So it may not be possible, but it's on my wishlist and it's good to know that other people would like it as well.
Maybe you could use some sort of neural network optimization for the simulations like this:

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I don't think Jellyfish would really need all the evolution options of blobfish - it might be sufficient to produce a working concept and based on that define limits of the shapes they can evolve. After all we don't want to evolve them into something entirely different.

Also I'd see Jellyfish more as a type of plant/sessile animal since most jellyfish spend the majority of their lives as polyps with the actual free-swimming Jellyfish only being the reproductive stage.

As much as I like the idea of creatures like jellyfish, I agree they'd have to be more like the plants (set graphics that reproduce clones based on specific rules) than they would be like the evolving creatures. I think bioluminescent and transparent skin would be great options for the creatures later on.