[Bug] {2020-03-15 17:11:41 Build} Beetles 'fighting' over grass beds

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I have seen beetles 'fighting' over grass beds by constantly pushing each other off of them to claim the spot. (There were enough beds to allow all beetles to rest, but instead they chose to fight over the same beds.)
Not only does this prevent the beetles from resting properly, it also consumes a full durability point each time a beetle has begun resting. (Every time it happens, it costs the player a bed.)

Here's some footage of this happening:
Ohhh... I see now! This is actually not a bug, as the beetles being pushed off are not sleeping anymore. (They were not sleeping every time they got pushed off)
But they do immidiately seek another bed to continue sleeping most of the time?

Last edited:

DarrinIocane

Larva
Developer of Beetle Uprising
You can inspect the Beetle's needs on the details/inspector page. They tend to address their lowest need first that has available items. What can happen is your whole collection decays in some need, then you notice, and place a few of those items. Then everyone fights to fulfill that same need. There is a purposeful balance. If you put out too many objects, they might decay over time. Not enough, and you might not notice your Beetles becoming unhappy. So needy!

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
You can inspect the Beetle's needs on the details/inspector page. They tend to address their lowest need first that has available items. What can happen is your whole collection decays in some need, then you notice, and place a few of those items. Then everyone fights to fulfill that same need. There is a purposeful balance. If you put out too many objects, they might decay over time. Not enough, and you might not notice your Beetles becoming unhappy. So needy!
At the start of the video (1st 30 seconds) there was pushing too. But there was no shortage of bed there at that moment, was there? I do understand that when there are not enough bed the beetles might do push each other off.

DarrinIocane

Larva
Developer of Beetle Uprising
There is some pushing allowed just as the Beetles navigate past. I guess theoretically a sleeping beetle could be pushed all over the nest. But there is no "interruption" logic. Unless you delete the item.