[Bug?] Mantis devour grabbing ant from far away?

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Not sure if I am seeing this right? But I think some mantids are grabbing ants from a long distance?

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Even the ones at the front seem to be using it initially at extended range. Humm not sure what this could be will check the ability range and check that the range checks are doing there job properly.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Even the ones at the front seem to be using it initially at extended range. Humm not sure what this could be will check the ability range and check that the range checks are doing there job properly.
Good to know I wasn't just seeing things.

Sidenote: Are the ant corpses supposed to remain after being devoured by the mantis? (I remember them disappearing, I think?)

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Good to know I wasn't just seeing things.

Sidenote: Are the ant corpses supposed to remain after being devoured by the mantis? (I remember them disappearing, I think?)
They are not, once something has been eaten its meant to be removed from the game.

Think I have figured this out, essentially what is happening is an ant is being picked up at the front and brought to the mantis mouth, on its way there the mantises behind spot it and try and pick it up. They need to be flagged as picked up sooner I think so other things don't go for them!

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Food in the game has something called interest where when an ant spots food it wants to pickup it checks if any other ant is interested, if not it puts its own interest on the food to prevent multiple ants going for the same target.

Unfortunately creatures do not have the same thing. I am guessing this has not come up before because large packs of PM are not really a thing in the campaign

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Right I have implemented something that should stop this (and similar occurrences of creatures grabbing picked up targets from each other) it should also prevent picked up creatures being targeted by other creatures at all
Sweet! I am looking forward to the next patch now! :)