Could Be My New Favorite Game

Claww05

Larva
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I was a bit late to get Spore but when I played it I loved the game! Part of my obsession with Spore, however, was my love for evolution and how animals changed. Naturally, I was upset to find out there was no aquatic stage in this game. With the way this new game looks this seems like the aquatic stage of Spore except it's a fun simulation I could watch and play with for hours to kill time and have fun. (Yes this is what I'm doing while California's under lockdown). I got the demo on March 19 in the afternoon and proceeded to spend 6 hours on a WIP that's already more fun than some polished games. This also really sent me through a range of emotions as I would watch creatures rise and fall. Watching the creatures change over time would be fun, terrifying, sad, maddening, or hilarious depending on which creature it was. (Carnivores were a pain to get working and nursery zoning felt weird as well.) Overall, I enjoyed the games I played. My favorite memory so far is when my first fish finally learned to swim and then was starved to death by a fish that managed to spazz along the ground. I did later have all my fish swimming and the one that took over the environment with over 200 population would spin and looked very elegant. Last bit of praise I forgot to add is I love the subtle variation like slight body shape and color which led to different variations in my species (one of them had a variation that would swim upright with a big forehead while the other one did not have that and swam upside down while other species would be different colors or change colors throughout generations.) Super awesome job so far and I can't wait for more! (With what your dream seems to be here and what's getting added I really hope the game's an affordable $20-25ish though. :) )

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I was a bit late to get Spore but when I played it I loved the game! Part of my obsession with Spore, however, was my love for evolution and how animals changed. Naturally, I was upset to find out there was no aquatic stage in this game. With the way this new game looks this seems like the aquatic stage of Spore except it's a fun simulation I could watch and play with for hours to kill time and have fun. (Yes this is what I'm doing while California's under lockdown). I got the demo on March 19 in the afternoon and proceeded to spend 6 hours on a WIP that's already more fun than some polished games. This also really sent me through a range of emotions as I would watch creatures rise and fall. Watching the creatures change over time would be fun, terrifying, sad, maddening, or hilarious depending on which creature it was. (Carnivores were a pain to get working and nursery zoning felt weird as well.) Overall, I enjoyed the games I played. My favorite memory so far is when my first fish finally learned to swim and then was starved to death by a fish that managed to spazz along the ground. I did later have all my fish swimming and the one that took over the environment with over 200 population would spin and looked very elegant. Last bit of praise I forgot to add is I love the subtle variation like slight body shape and color which led to different variations in my species (one of them had a variation that would swim upright with a big forehead while the other one did not have that and swam upside down while other species would be different colors or change colors throughout generations.) Super awesome job so far and I can't wait for more! (With what your dream seems to be here and what's getting added I really hope the game's an affordable $20-25ish though. :) )
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I'm in lockdown too and reading your experience of the game made my day. I loved your description of a fish learning to swim and then being outcompeted by something that just spazzes along the ground (I guess that's proof of the aphorism that if something is stupid but it works, it's not truly stupid). While not 100% certain, the price range you mentioned is about what I was thinking too, so no worries there. Thanks for writing :)