Crashing on start-up

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
We have received a few reports now of the game crashing on start up. We believe there may be a couple of causes for this however some people have had success fixing the issue for themselves and there are a couple of things you can try:

Remove the LevelSetup.sav file from the game saves folder
To find them go to your save game folder, on windows this is usually in:
C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Local\EotU\Saved\SaveGames
Note that AppData is usually hidden, you can either un-hide the folder in the files settings or just type it into the bar.

In there is a file called LevelSetup.sav, and this file is made every time you start a level. It is also used when the game starts up to determine if you have a save game to continue. We believe this may be the source of one of the crashes so simply delete this file and run the game.

Disable Steam Overlay and Game Theatre while in SteamVR
Someone reported disabling these worked for them. Simply right click Empires of the Undergrowth in Steam an go to properties. In the general tab are two tick boxes, untick both of the following:
“Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game”
“Use Desktop Game Theatre while SteamVR is active”
Then try running the game.

Disable MSI afterburner
We have heard disabling this can fix startup issues. If you are using it and experiencing a startup crash you may want to try disabling it.

Let us know if these worked for you as they may help us pin down the issue!

Bennos

Larva
Hey, my game wont start. The demo worked fine but when i bought the game and wanted to play it always crashed. I tryed the things above but the first one wasn't there and the second one didn't help. Thanks.

Bennos

Larva
Oke, after the update, did the second thing with the boxes. They where unticked so enabled them both. Tried start same thing, unticked them and started.. game works.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Bennos said:
Never mind.. doesn't work after exit.. :'(

Could you send us crash reports? This helps us get to the bottom of the issue much quicker. Look at this thread:

http://forum.eotugame.com/index.php?topic=1231.0

FirZ

Larva
Hello! pls help me about this crash:when I start the game it`ll be fine but if a make a formicarium it will say this btw this message is from Windows "Empires of the Undergrowth has stopped working.Windows will notify you if there is a solution" then there`s a tab saying "Close Program"... so yeah no choice but to close....PLS HELP I LOVE ANTS AND THIS GAME !!!!! :D
I have also tried deleting the LevelSetup.sav and still no difference...pls help

FirZ

Larva
Acer Aspire ES1-533
Intel Celeron Processor N3350
Intel HD Graphics
4 Gb Ram
64-bit OS
Thank you for replying btw :)

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
FirZ said:
Acer Aspire ES1-533
Intel Celeron Processor N3350
Intel HD Graphics
4 Gb Ram
64-bit OS
Thank you for replying btw :)

Your system specs are below the recommended minimum, which means your system is prone to crashes when dealing with a modern engine like UE4. This is likely to get better over time, as we make efficiency changes to the code. For now, hang tight - sorry things aren't working right now.

FirZ

Larva
Oh, ok....... but how come it worked perfectly when i ran it 3 times after that, that`s when the crashing started. Anyways, I hope you guys really code it to where I can play..for I Really love this game...It`s just completely amazing. Thx for helping :)

CMills

Larva
Hi, i also have an acer and my laptop will play the total war games on lowered graphics, yet this game crashes 30 seconds in with the lowest settings possible? Do you have a rough timeline when this game will have performance updates to allow us to play with out any crashes?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
CMills said:
Hi, i also have an acer and my laptop will play the total war games on lowered graphics, yet this game crashes 30 seconds in with the lowest settings possible? Do you have a rough timeline when this game will have performance updates to allow us to play with out any crashes?

Performance enhancements are ongoing. EotU runs on Unreal Engine 4 - a modern 3D graphics engine and not a custom-built RTS engine like the Total War series has. If your system is below the minimum specifications on the store page then you should expect issues. Like I said, we're continually improving the efficiency of the code so over time more lower-end hardware will be covered - but we can't guarantee support for below minimum spec.

if i have a laptop whit this info

CPU: INTEL 4CORE N4200
RAM 4GB
Intel(R) HD Graphics 1024MB
OpenGL: 4.4

i can play the demo of 32bits, before, so i ask, can i play this new version?

Grib0ed

Larva
The game asks to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime
reinstalled this program, the game does not start up and again asks to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime

Grib0ed

Larva
The game asks to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime
reinstalled this program, the game does not start up and again asks to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime

I read the forum in Steam
there is such a problem for several people.
and no one has found a solution to this problem