Giant Kelp growing on... nothing.

accident

Larva
In my current ecosystem I have a large pit connected to a cave system. I seeded it with plant life a long time ago and it has been developing for generations.

At some point Giant Kelp moved into the area and quickly took it over. However, many of the seeds it has spread appear to be growing out of the water itself without rooting themselves to any land. See below:

20210326095405_1.jpg

Is there something wrong with the way Giant Kelp seeds propagate? I haven't seen this behaviour with other plants.

Thecoolant

Queen
Ecosystem Beta Tester
In my current ecosystem I have a large pit connected to a cave system. I seeded it with plant life a long time ago and it has been developing for generations.

At some point Giant Kelp moved into the area and quickly took it over. However, many of the seeds it has spread appear to be growing out of the water itself without rooting themselves to any land. See below:

View attachment 1311

Is there something wrong with the way Giant Kelp seeds propagate? I haven't seen this behaviour with other plants.
Maybe they’re floating.

Last edited by a moderator:

accident

Larva
Are you saying I was quoted twice by... accident? :D

*waits awkwardly for laughter*

Anyways I don't think this is supposed to happen. Tom has stuck pretty close to the science when it comes to how plants function, and wikipedia is telling me that giant kelp always roots itself to a rocky surface. But maybe I'm wrong!