[Install/Launch Error] 0.22221 Cannot launch/install

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Steam is unable to complete install EotU on my PC, the reason given: Disk Write Error
E:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Empires of the Undergrowth\EotU\Binaries\Win64\EotU-Win64-Shipping.exe

A few days ago I had a launch error mentioning the exact same file. The error message was something like:
Launch error: E:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Empires of the Undergrowth\EotU\Binaries\Win64\EotU-Win64-Shipping.exe returned 2.

That is why I tried to re-install the game, but now I get a write error with the same file and cannot finish the installation.

Edit:
I forgot to mention this: The error occurred in the last second of the installation.

Last edited:

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
The internet suggested running an error-check on the HDD I had the write issue with, so I did that. It did not report any errors.

I did a defragmentation on the disk too before trying to reinstall EotU there, but at the end of the install I still had the same error.

I installed a Steam game after uninstalling and before reinstalling EotU to hopefully cause EotU to be written on a different part of the disk, I again had the same write error at the last second.

I uninstalled, set EotU to the non-beta version, installed and had the same error again at the last second.

The only thing I can think of to see if it is indeed my hardware failing is to install a bunch of other things and see if any of them produce a disk write error...

I still wonder what caused that failed launch a few days ago?

Edit:
I have re-installed the game 7 or 8 times now today, each time the install stopped in the last second with the same error as mentioned earlier.

I also installed some 11 GB of Steam games on that disk today to see if it causes a write error at any point, but it did not. (These games also launched without any problems.)

Last edited:

Thecoolant

Queen
Ecosystem Beta Tester
That sounds irritating. I have had some crashes before.The game did say once that it was reinstalling itself for no reason. very odd.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I don't know why or how, but EotU installed on my HDD successfully today. (Version 0.22112.)