Leafcutter media origins

Rensy

Colony
I googled leafcutter media in google before, but they only showed minims, minors and majors, But no media. So i wonder how and why the developers thought up the leafcutter media and added it to the game. Its ok if the answer is not allowed to be revealed.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
I googled leafcutter media in google before, but they only showed minims, minors and majors, But no media. So i wonder how and why the developers thought up the leafcutter media and added it to the game. Its ok if the answer is not allowed to be revealed.

With just Googling "leafcutter media" you're likely to get a bunch of media companies first. But media (or mediae in plural) is a pretty common term amongst myrmecologists for the ant sizes that inhabit the range between minors and majors. We didn't invent the term.

Even the leafcutter Wikipedia article uses it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafcutter_ant

It's worth noting that Liam really does his research for the game; he reads a bunch of scientific papers and books.

Rensy

Colony
With just Googling "leafcutter media" you're likely to get a bunch of media companies first. But media (or mediae in plural) is a pretty common term amongst myrmecologists for the ant sizes that inhabit the range between minors and majors. We didn't invent the term.

Even the leafcutter Wikipedia article uses it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafcutter_ant

It's worth noting that Liam really does his research for the game; he reads a bunch of scientific papers and books.
Thanks for the answer! I was aware you did not invent the term. But i was wondering how it looked like and if it even existed irl.

Edit: I also understand that the developers do actual research.

Last edited:

Scyobi_Empire

Colony
Extremely Helpful Person
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I have read books and papers that call them Soldiers, but others call the Majors Soldiers and use Media.

Thecoolant

Queen
Ecosystem Beta Tester
They’re media in the game but in real life there foraging workers with bigger heads.

Thecoolant

Queen
Ecosystem Beta Tester
the are two castes with different sizes in one the castes are minor and major there are small workers that tend to brood and fungus in the nest and bigger worker that bring in the leaves for consumption.The Media fight but aren’t as good as the majors at this the majors main job is fighting.

Scyobi_Empire

Colony
Extremely Helpful Person
Ecosystem Beta Tester
the are two castes with different sizes in one the castes are minor and major there are small workers that tend to brood and fungus in the nest and bigger worker that bring in the leaves for consumption.The Media fight but aren’t as good as the majors at this the majors main job is fighting.
You forgot Minims.

Thecoolant

Queen
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Back seat moderating, and inappropriate back seat moderating at that.
Guys stop turning this thread into a comody it’s supposed to be surious also that was not funny that was creepy. This just a joke.

Thecoolant

Queen
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Yes thank you this is my favorite OST. I was just joking I said that in my reply. Some times what I say and what i mean are two different things.Again i was just joking.

Durburz

Worker
Worth watching if you want to learn more about leafcutter ants:

Ancient Megalopolis of leafcutters:

Book:
I can also recommend Journey to the Ants from B. Hölldobbler & Edward O. Wilson

In any case, simply put, Atta Cephalotes has 4 castes (minims, minors, mediae and majors). However, technically you could even differentiate between small and large mediae and small, regular and supermajors because of the head & body size difference. These sizes are variable on colony size and it's available resources.

It's worth noting that there is a ton of information about these ants because of the complexity of their society and you could've found a lot of information by changing up your search parameters on google. Not hating here, just making you aware.

Last edited: