Multiplayer Suggestions

Seub

Larva
I don't know if there are plans to include multplayer (be it co-op or vs mode), but if there are, here are my 5 cents on the matter:

-Scenario Vs:

With aphids introducing a reliable and replenishable source of food, scenario maps similiar to starcraft could be made, with something advantageus (like a fish corpse) guarded by strong enemies in the middle of the map for good mesure. And if you ask "what about underground map?", I have some suggestions to solve this:
-Make the underground map bigger for those maps and intoduce an indestructable wall between colonies. Alternatively, introduce a cheap buildable wall, that takes a long time to destroy.
-Fog of war would be necessary for those maps:
*For above ground, whole map should be visible, but enemies, rival colony entrance and food sources should be hidden unless your ants are nearby.
*For below ground, standard black fog, dispersed only when your ants are nearby would be aproporiate. For those wondering how would we invade another colony from above, upon stumbling near the entrance, you should be able to see a small portion of the ground below.

-Formicarium Vs:

I think the best way to do this would be to just replicate formicarium challanges, but with you as the invaders, sending a raiding party to another formicarium, or defending from it. For balance reasons, I think queen perks should be disabled, and food budget for both sides should be introduced. As for rewards, letting the victor choose a reward similiar to successful end of mission screen would be cool. As for the loser, no penalty, besides possible humiliaton, should be introduced. This mode would be the best way to test your formicarium against a coordinated enemy. In this mode, since it would be more of a skirmish than prolonged duel, fog of war would be unnecessary.

Keep in mind that I am not a game designer, and solutions presented here aren't perfect, but I realy want to see this game grow. Feel free to correct me if you feel my propositions are flawed/wrong.

I think the best way to handle the multiplayer would be to establish one person as a server host, another person as a client. Possibly if the devs were up for it, they could host a server that connects people together, but I think it'd be best to perhaps pair individuals through some kind of proxy list, where one client still acts as a server, and the other as a client. Each client, however, would have to process the information of the other client. Or perhaps both.
Of course, this is just for the 1 vs 1 (or coop) scenario.
I'd like to see something like the 2.2? The one with the ladybugs and the flooding map (sort of) - essentially, two colonies at war, night is dangerous for each. Survive until one is destroyed entirely, or perhaps you can do a high ground - low ground with risk of flooding scenario. I think this would be quite popular.
Personally, I'd go for the 1 vs 1 death match. Or perhaps a coop.

Seub

Larva
@Astrologic While host-client dynamic would solve many problems (such as creating dedicated multiplayer servers), it creates (unless prevented by coding) another problem: host cheating. In multiplayer games featuring pvp, when one player becomes a host, it is not unheard of to see them cheat. I read about the problem of killer vs survivor dynamic in Dead by Dailight, where the killer is always the host. Due to that, killer players frequently cheated using third party aps, being able to see others when they shouldn't, being disgustingly fast, and so on. I don't know if this can be 100% prevented using coding, but I know it can be made harder.