New update

Diavid

Worker
Backer
Beta Tester
Meh, i always used to have a max. amount of soldiers that is the same number of my stored food.
So when my first army die, there (theoretically) would spawn a new army with the same size as reserve.
But now soldiers need 5 food to spawn instead of 1.
Now i need to calculate something like 381 (food) divided by 5 (spawn-costs) to know how many soldier tiles i'm allowed to have. lol ??? ;D

And why can i no more remove pheromone markers by right click? I always have done it this way.

But i like the other improvements. Especially that ants don't merge together and the new colors of the ants.
And more pheromone markers!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
The reason for the 5x increase in food cost and food gathered is for design space - the guys have found they want to include things that would cost, for example, less than 1 food in the old system, and that didn't make sense. It shouldn't affect game play, and should feel fairly natural with just a little practice.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
We are testing the right click remove pheromone marker thing, here is the issue from both sides:

With right click dismiss:
Markers can be easily removed from the play space by right-clicking
It is very easy to remove markers from the play space by accident if, for example, you wanted to move all your marker groups to the same spot

Without right click dismiss:
More difficult to remove markers(only way to do this is to find the group you want to remove the marker of and select the dismiss marker button)
Harder to accidentally remove markers by mistake, if for example you spam right click in a panic or you with to move all marker to the same space this can be done.

Both ways have merits and we are not sure what is ultimately best. Maybe there is a more elegant solution we are yet to think of for this. We are open to suggestions here.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I will write more feedback later but I'll give a first comment on the food multiplier.

IT IS BAD.

I'd rather live with something like 10.2 food than with this. The old system was perfect as you could easily judge how many ants you could reproduce. This doesn't work anymore and it is VERY uncomfortable and not user-friendly at all.

There are basically two solutions to this:

- Work with x.x numbers (50.3 food). May look odd at first glance but is MUCH more comfortable than the current system. Alternatively you could add a second food UI counter that only counts the decimals behind the comma.

- Adapt the "minor expenses" in a way that you get multiples of them if the price count would be too low for a single one (like a swarm of thief ants instead of a single one) or adjust their strength so 1 food seems a reasonable prize (stronger effect, larger radius, longer duration, etc.).

Diavid

Worker
Backer
Beta Tester
John said:
Both ways have merits and we are not sure what is ultimately best. Maybe there is a more elegant solution we are yet to think of for this. We are open to suggestions here.

Maybe you can make that the player can choose in the options menu how he want to remove the markers?

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Diavid said:
Maybe you can make that the player can choose in the options menu how he want to remove the markers?

I am making key binding at the moment, but yes there could be an interface option or right click remove markers, or a key binding to allow it. We will have a think! If you think of any suggestions for this I would be very interested to hear them.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Serafine said:
I will write more feedback later but I'll give a first comment on the food multiplier.

IT IS BAD.

I'd rather live with something like 10.2 food than with this. The old system was perfect as you could easily judge how many ants you could reproduce. This doesn't work anymore and it is VERY uncomfortable and not user-friendly at all.

I appreciate the frustration when it was so easy to see such things before. We actually intend of having some ants be more expensive to hatch than others. For example a worker or black ant soldier costs 5 to hatch, but a driver ant soldier could cost 10 as they are more powerful. Maybe there is a way we could handle it on the UI. We will think more on this. Thanks for the input.

so with the food, is it like more food in a sprite because this will allow us to have more food in less seeds witch will kinda help with the lag.

well anyway, i cant wait until this game is so called "Complete." ;D

Chaospinhead

Larva
Backer
Beta Tester
Why not have a little "bubble" pop up next to the cursor when you click a tile type which has the max amount you can make with current food, and it adjusts as you food grows. So if I click soldier ant tile and I have 50 food in a little circle next to my cursor it says "1" indicating I can make 1 tile, or if I have 500 food, 10 in the circle. Easy solution to always know what you can make when you click and shouldn't be but a math calculation to implement?

Chaospinhead

Larva
Backer
Beta Tester
Nevermind I have discovered my problem which was unapparent to me at first. Since cancelling markers was removed by right click I never was able to cancel as I did not see the button, once I found the button the workers began placing eggs again and I was able to reach my caps and continue...my mistake!

Diavid said:
Meh, i always used to have a max. amount of soldiers that is the same number of my stored food.
So when my first army die, there (theoretically) would spawn a new army with the same size as reserve.
But now soldiers need 5 food to spawn instead of 1.
Now i need to calculate something like 381 (food) divided by 5 (spawn-costs) to know how many soldier tiles i'm allowed to have. lol ??? ;D

And why can i no more remove pheromone markers by right click? I always have done it this way.

But i like the other improvements. Especially that ants don't merge together and the new colors of the ants.
And more pheromone markers!

Bud , if calculation is a problem for you then use 10 instead of 5 and splitt it upp in two . By the way you may need to use 10 on the hardest part in the stages ,-)