Pheromones bug?

Not certain if this is a bug or by design. Its not how ants behave in nature (i know your not targeting a simulation here) just hear me out. ;-)

I am in the middle of losing on Hard 3.2. part of my issue was that i found a safe path to get food at night (screenshot added) where the ants trail paths up around the back and to a plant.

Unfortunately as soon as they came back down from this plant they re-pathed back to base - strait through the the whip spider of death. :-(

I believe they should path back the way they came as ants normally do not search for a new path once they find food.

Attachments

• Phermone trail.jpg
    Phermone trail.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 8

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
I don't think this is a bug, just the pathfinding using the shortest route. Whether or not this should be the case is a philosophical issue.

I don't think that's a bug but I've already felt the pain of that moment when my workers all died and lost their food, I think this will be solved if the dev add a way to ask the ants to avoid fights instead of not simply setting them in no attack

Yeah, or a way to redirect ants that are not currently "sniffing" for lack of a better word. Its more the fact of realizing I messed up and had no way to tell them to not go home... "I got food, i have to go home, i'll follow the pheromones later".

If we are speaking philosophy...

Its probably too large of a change to the way the game works for pathfinding at the moment, and that being said it would be good if you could lay the whole pheromone trail or key waypoints that they follow too and from the base. Though it might break the difficulties... so i could see why SD might not be keen on this suggestion.

Well technically the game already has something like avoid fight for the harvestman
Yeah, i was more meaning my thing about waypoints. Your thing is possible - though for my purposes not very helpful. Avoid fighting and not allowed to fight are kind of the same for me - either way my ants die because they are going the wrong way because i fucked up during daylight hours and didn't save food - so now i have to be creative... its always fun to realize you have lost about an hour in. But wanting to wait until the level finishes so at least you get scraps for the formacarium (I am just now thinking... is there a surrender button... going to kick myself if there is :-(

It took me way to long to win on Hard - Like 10 hours, I read the insane people comments and realize the developers are looking at these feeble squabbles like "learn how to play the game then give comments" - its all part of the fun though.

Scyobi_Empire

Colony
Extremely Helpful Person
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I don't think this is a bug, just the pathfinding using the shortest route. Whether or not this should be the case is a philosophical issue.
Why not the the option to draw a trail on the map? Yes, it'll be hard to make but because it is only minor it can be pushed back with no risks. Apart from a few annoyed people.
Edit: Or have multiple markers that the ants follow, for example: Ants go to markerI, then to markerII and then back to I.