Player creature competition -> pre-made creature selection at start

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Reading the Launch Day post and the thing about creatures being completely random (and some players struggling to realize that they start basically with blobs that just wiggle around randomly) I had an idea.

Let's make a player "competition" to create some fairly efficient creatures - some of those creatures (preferreably ones that are very different from each other in shape and the way they move, maybe even kind of special in one way or another) will then be chosen to be available as a pre-set option when starting a new ecosystem (you simply get an additional tab from which you can choose a pre-set species).

This will give the current active players a goal to strife for, encourage them to play and toy around with the game (and possibly break it or find minor bugs & glitches) and at the same time provides impatient players who don't want to go through the early "wiggle stage" with some decent creatures to start from.

accident

Larva
I don't know how special it is, but the Whigom has long been the most prolific and adaptable forager in my current ecosystem.

With its sleek blue body, twin forward-facing fins, and flattened tail, the Whigom is fast and energy-efficient. Mono breeding patterns allow the species to roam freely without needing to come together in great numbers. While not particularly complex from a neurological perspective, this can be attributed to the efficiency of their physical design, which allows them to outpace or outmanuever many predators without needing complex evasive strategies.

I'm not sure how to extract creature data from the game, but if someone can give me a crash course, I'd be happy to share the file.

whigom.gif

Reading the Launch Day post and the thing about creatures being completely random (and some players struggling to realize that they start basically with blobs that just wiggle around randomly) I had an idea.

Let's make a player "competition" to create some fairly efficient creatures - some of those creatures (preferreably ones that are very different from each other in shape and the way they move, maybe even kind of special in one way or another) will then be chosen to be available as a pre-set option when starting a new ecosystem (you simply get an additional tab from which you can choose a pre-set species).

This will give the current active players a goal to strife for, encourage them to play and toy around with the game (and possibly break it or find minor bugs & glitches) and at the same time provides impatient players who don't want to go through the early "wiggle stage" with some decent creatures to start from.
here's an idea, Why not have a tab of the most successful creatures, like for example, when a player saves their game, a copy of the various creatures in that game are evaluated, and the most successful(has a complex neural architecture, the payer has boosted them or its just the most functional in its environment, just to name a few examples) get displayed in an in-game tab. players can maybe even vote on a Weekly Featured creature. it would also be interesting to see how much one creature can advance in its neural architecture if an entire community of gamers were to collectively simulate and train it?

Thanks This has Been My TED talk.