Question/observation about the mortar ants

why are the mortar ants basically snipers (that miss a lot lol), they aren't meant to be in practice and in real life, both the real thing and the ants. Right now even with full upgrades to splash, which should have been included by at least a small amount to begin with, they are basically sniper catapults that become useless when the enemy moves just an inch over so no damage is done at all if they miss, and yes I do have a stopping force hold the enemy in place. esp. against the larger enemies, which a fully upgraded mortar ant helps out a lot against if it hits, but if it moves due to attacking the ants in front of it the mortars miss etc and no damage which as a mortar makes very little sense if you know what mortars do and are

great game so far by the way been waiting for a replacement to empire of the ants ;D

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
"Mortar" purely refers to their arcing attack.

Rapid fire is meant to be more accurate, with support capability.

Mortars require enemies to be held in place, and they're best at fighting hoards.

You seem to be describing them as if they're useless, but I don't think you've played 2.2 insane. Mortars at lvl 3 are both necessary, and extremely powerful on that level, and take out as many as 20 enemy ants in one volley.

I have played that lvl and as stated they are good when fully upgraded but if they miss due to the enemy being pushed Slightly to one side due to the number of units, they hit the ground and do nothing which is what I'm saying. As for your first part of your post, I posted this due to that issue and the fact the devs have said these ants are based on their real-life counterparts (there is an ant species that does have Mortar ants that shoot a type of acid) while it's certainly true they may have changed their minds about that and the similarities end in name and looks only. Also, I did say that I knew enemies had to be held in place after all, so I think you may have skimmed through my post without much reading it ;)

AntFked

Larva
From what I read I think a good solution to this would be to have mortar shots still do splash damage if the acid shot itself misses the target, but the phyical damage will not go off.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I'll elaborate then, I don't think you're holding them in place optimally. The current meta is to use purely workers for tanks, and then enough mortars to ensure that misses don't matter, as every hit will splash and do massive damage.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
If you have trouble you can use the rapid fire ants.
Their DPS is just as ridiculous as that of the mortars and while they may not have area damage they rarely miss plus they waste far less DPS on overkilling enemies that are almost already dead.