Screenshot Saturday - The Little Black Ant (Monomorium minimum)

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
The little black ant (Monomorium minimum) is a tiny North American ant species that your fire ants will come up against in the 4th tier levels of Empires of the Undergrowth.

Although small (very likely the smallest ants that will ever be in the game), they are fierce and territorial - they wave their gaster (hind section) in a technique called "flagging", which releases secretions from their poison glands.

This intimidating chemical and visual threat display / territory marking is effective enough to see off most competition.

Last edited:

VarmintLP

Queen
Backer
I assume that the smallest ant species you could introduce was Solenopsis molesta which is apparently the smallest known antspecies with a size of 0.5 mm. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

The little black ant (Monomorium minimum) is a tiny North American ant species that your fire ants will come up against in the 4th tier levels of Empires of the Undergrowth.

Although small (very likely the smallest ants that will ever be in the game), they are fierce and territorial - they wave their gaster (hind section) in a technique called "flagging", which releases secretions from their poison glands.

This intimidating chemical and visual threat display / territory marking is effective enough to see off most competition.

wow they are even smaller than the fire ants!

MedinB

Colony
I know this is probably very early but is the model of the fire ants just repainted? The graphics on the art has improved as well. I am not exactly sure since those ants are tiny.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I know this is probably very early but is the model of the fire ants just repainted? The graphics on the art has improved as well. I am not exactly sure since those ants are tiny.
Now that you say it, yes. I compared them a bit and from what I saw it looks like they use the same model.

VarmintLP

Queen
Backer
There are some changes (and a unique animation for the gaster flagging) but it would be totally inefficient of Matt to start completely from scratch with two species that are anatomically very similar!
I know the pain of creating a similar thing each time. That is why you should always create a basemodel of something and then get started to work with that each time.
For example create a blender file copy for each antmodel that is different in shape :p

Thecoolant

Queen
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I know the pain of creating a similar thing each time. That is why you should always create a basemodel of something and then get started to work with that each time.
For example create a blender file copy for each antmodel that is different in shape :p
Very smart MEDIN;)