[Suggestion] - Improving Fundamental Aspect in Freeplay

MedinB

Colony
I have been kinda lazy to make a post about this, but now I will make a post about this issue I am having.

Freeplay has almost entirely been up to RNG for starting. While we do have randomized caverns, AI colonies still need help. I loaded up a free for all gameplay in Basin, here we have a yellow counterpart colony with no nearby food sources. The nearest food source they have is near the middle where enemies lurk, this needs improvement.
ice_screenshot_20210816-190349.png
Leafcutters will also have leaves spawn next to them, that is something John said in one of the developer streams, but this doesn't make it fair for the other non-leafcutter colonies and especially for the AI.

Here is something that could improve it.
ice_screenshot_20210816-192824.png
All colonies of every type should have some nearby landmark or food source next to them at the start of the game. Because each colony has at least one, all colonies can build appropriately. This was already a thing for leafcutters, but strangely not a thing for the other species.

MedinB

Colony
I have been quite lazy to make a post about this, but now I will make a post about this issue I am having.

It's been one year since I last posted this. Instead of making a new thread, I am going to shoot this thread all the way back up, and discuss a few things. Almost merging a thread and a thread?

Leafcutters will also have leaves spawn next to them, that is something John said in one of the developer streams, but this doesn't make it fair for the other non-leafcutter colonies and especially for the AI.

This was mostly the sole reason I made this thread. Honestly, I have no idea why this was only implemented for the leafcutters. I remember asking something like this to John in a developer stream. However, there was an argument of there is randomized caverns. This would've mostly fixed the problem of lack of food, but randomized caverns is only for the player, not the AI.

All colonies of every type should have some nearby landmark or food source next to them at the start of the game. Because each colony has at least one, all colonies can build appropriately. This was already a thing for leafcutters, but strangely not a thing for the other species.

Looking back, landmarks like fish have a very high food amount. This may imbalance the game, and may give one colony an advantage. Not to mention, there are wood ants that will spawn, and at the “off” setting, the AI is too weak to fight them. It may be better to replace the fish with a pine cone, or smaller groups of woodworm. There doesn't need to be a lot of food, just an amount just to get the ball rolling.

I would like to see people's perspective and thoughts on this. I think I may ask something like this in the Discord for a wider range of opinions.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I personally think it might be a good idea to have landmarks follow (some of) this placement behavior when playing with multiple colonies:
1. A renewable, non-hostile (aphids or seed plant or seedlings) landmark right next to each nest.
2. One or two renewable landmarks close to, but not adjacent to each nest.
3. Areas with high probability for landmarks to appear on mid-points between nests.