Tutorial Idea

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
I was thinking that this game might need a tutorial. So I thought it would be a good idea for it to be in a formicarium like this.

omnilargess.jpg

The colony will start near the back of the Omni nest, trying to get to the outer world. I personally own an ant queen so what their behavior is like. The chambers will instead be filled with dirt, and it will teach the player to assign different groups to do different things and how to strategically place worker makers, soldier maker and food storage tiles. While the narrator/documentarian is commenting on how remarkable the species is.

When the player gets to the Third row There are your usual enemies that are not too tough. This will make the player think wise about his or her resources that he or she has collected while digging.

When the player finally gets to the outer world it's greeted by an adult devils horse beetle and five teenage ones, once all our dead the real game starts.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
We do actually have plans for a formicarium style mode we will be detailing soon. We do intend on the first mission being quite heavily tutorial based. You have some good ideas here.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
How about a much slower "Zen hive" mode (in reference to the Zen garden Plants vs Zombies has) where then ants take ~4-10 hours from egg to worker (depending on the type of ant, also the larvae frequently require food while growing) and act mostly on their own (like they can build their own nest, place brood tiles etc.) - and the player acts as an antkeeper offering them food, decorating the outworld with food and stuff. Would be cool if you could have an influence the type of ants they breed by offering specific food, etc.

Basically a virtual ant farm that uses what already exists in terms of base game mechanics and models and just modifies it a bit to get there.

It probably wouldn't be too much work - and if people pick it up and develop it further like they did with the Creatures series this could really become a big thing.