Whip Spiders inspired by science?

Hi all,

I love this game! I'm a scientist who studies arachnids and ants for a living, and I was blown away when I saw the whip spiders! So cool. And then I was extra-blown away when they were the same species that I studied for my PhD dissertation (link) and published a bunch of scientific articles about (link again). So, I'm wondering if it's not a coincidence and indeed the whip spiders in EotU were inspired by my research? If so, my students will think I'm the coolest - can anyone ask the creators, or have they ever mentioned scientific sources?

Thanks!

VarmintLP

Queen
Backer
Hi all,

I love this game! I'm a scientist who studies arachnids and ants for a living, and I was blown away when I saw the whip spiders! So cool. And then I was extra-blown away when they were the same species that I studied for my PhD dissertation (link) and published a bunch of scientific articles about (link again). So, I'm wondering if it's not a coincidence and indeed the whip spiders in EotU were inspired by my research? If so, my students will think I'm the coolest - can anyone ask the creators, or have they ever mentioned scientific sources?

Thanks!
You could ask Mike and John yourself via PM. ;)
Just click on their name somewhere in the forum and select "Start Conversation"

But since you are studying ants I have a question for you. Yesterday I saw this* with my colony of Messor Barbarus and I found it highly odd and unusual. So now I would love to know if someone who studies ants professionally has seen anything alike.

*Messor Barbarus Queen fights Mealworm

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Hi all,

Thanks!

When we were looking for creatures for the leafcutter update, we knew we wanted a whip spider, and we were trying to make sure everything could be found roughly in the same area (focusing on Ecuador). This leads to searching photos of sightings of creatures. I think we first saw the whip spider photographed by Gil Wizen: http://gilwizen.com/amblypygi/. However, looking in the design document for the creatures I can see a link to your thesis with a note "check here for dimensions".

We should have sorted this by now; there's a growing list of research publications we need to acknowledge in the credits. I'll make sure it's in for the fire ant update.

Thanks for your work - without it we'd be doing a lot more guesswork.

That's so cool to hear Liam! My work on the whip spider Hertophrynus batesii was at Tiputini Biodiversity Station in Yasuni National Park, Ecuador - EotU really captured the environment there. I guess you're done creating the whip spiders, but if you want a TON of photos of Ecuador bugs/herps/plants let me know and I'd be happy to send them along.

Thanks for letting me know!

When we were looking for creatures for the leafcutter update, we knew we wanted a whip spider, and we were trying to make sure everything could be found roughly in the same area (focusing on Ecuador). This leads to searching photos of sightings of creatures. I think we first saw the whip spider photographed by Gil Wizen: http://gilwizen.com/amblypygi/. However, looking in the design document for the creatures I can see a link to your thesis with a note "check here for dimensions".

We should have sorted this by now; there's a growing list of research publications we need to acknowledge in the credits. I'll make sure it's in for the fire ant update.

Thanks for your work - without it we'd be doing a lot more guesswork.
I’m glad to see you on the Forum again.

Hi all,

Thanks!
Me too! The whip spiders very cool these bugs are my favorite!

1Ping1

Larva
Hi all,

Thanks!
Hi all,

Thanks!
Wow We have a bunch of these guys that live in our basement/cellar on the ranch. Some are just so massive its amazing. Gental giants. Definitely my favorite guests ❤

Thecoolant

Queen
Ecosystem Beta Tester
That is really cool. Be careful these beauties can impale flesh with those spiky arms. Where do you live to see such cool creatures?

1Ping1

Larva
They actually can't. Although they have an intimidating appearance they are harmless.
Too true, also quite fragile as simply handling them has killed one (sorry). I actually think that's why so many hang out here because we live on the kingdom of the ants and we keep the army ants out and let the bees nest cleaner ants in ;)

You could ask Mike and John yourself via PM. ;)
Just click on their name somewhere in the forum and select "Start Conversation"

But since you are studying ants I have a question for you. Yesterday I saw this* with my colony of Messor Barbarus and I found it highly odd and unusual. So now I would love to know if someone who studies ants professionally has seen anything alike.

*Messor Barbarus Queen fights Mealworm
Speaking of Messor Barbaros, I own a colony of said Messor Barbaros but they keep doing this weird thing of being really prosperous and healthy to being, well... the opposite. I have had this problem before with previous ant colony's, I remembered to give them some time to grow, I gave them the right food, I even have a heat-mat underneath them, it's been rough. It's been a year and their numbers havent gone above at least 12 for a while.

Any suggestions?

VarmintLP

Queen
Backer
Speaking of Messor Barbaros, I own a colony of said Messor Barbaros but they keep doing this weird thing of being really prosperous and healthy to being, well... the opposite. I have had this problem before with previous ant colony's, I remembered to give them some time to grow, I gave them the right food, I even have a heat-mat underneath them, it's been rough. It's been a year and their numbers havent gone above at least 12 for a while.

Any suggestions?
I'm glad you quoted me cause otherwise I may have overlooked this. My queen has returned to acting how a normal queen ant is supposed to act so this problem is solved. Another thing for you. What seeds are you offering?
Currently it's dandelion season so I can recommend getting some of those, put them into a box and put them on a radiator or hot spot to dry. Also while collecting the seeds, grab them at the white fluffy furry part and then remove the seeds. Trust me it safes you so much time and you only need to dry them a little bit. Dry them for as long as it takes to get ride of most of the water by collecting the condensed water on the lid.
Have you placed the heating mat directly underneath the testtube? Is it covering the whole testtube/setup? If so remove the heating mat. Never have the heating mat heat touch the setup (unless it's only in one area) or have it cover the full setup. Ants need the option to hydro and thermo regulate. I would just let them do their thing and maybe keep the ants at a general temperatur of 24 °C.
Maybe create an off topic thread and let me know via PM when it's open so we can leave this thread clean from unrelated whip spider talk.

Yes we've had them in the basement for years. Its in Mexico, we also have most of the ants in the game and quite a few more. Leaf cutters, cleaners/drivers, honeypots etc...
What version of the game do you have? This version doesn’t have honey pots drivers etc?