Ants don´t respawn - food is plenty

Bismarck

Prussian Military Ants!!!
I played Mission 1.2 yesterday and when I came close to finishing and had a massive amount of ants, they just stoped respawning even though I had over 200 food left. Possible bug? I also had about 10 ants dedicated to the brute.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Workers have to repopulate the tiles with fresh eggs to grow into new soldiers. If your workers are preoccupied, dead or on a trail far away from the queen and nest chambers you won't get new ants hatching.

This is why it's always a good idea to keep a group of workers in the nest group (the leftmost one). If they're in that group they will pick up egg jobs as they appear.

Granogg

Worker
I noticed this also happens when you're expanding way too fast, e.g. send out most workers to do jobs on stage 2.2 and dig out lots in the nest while constantly losing single ants to predators or rival colonies. At some point the colony felt like it had "stopped" working until I took a pack of 40 and put them into the nest group as well. I took roughly two minutes and everything in the underground was sorted out: Everything I wanted was dug out, all food had been transported and all brood chambers restocked with fresh eggs. Now I always have a "jumper" squad of workers that do specific tasks or join the nest force if necessary :)

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Sounds like the class ic out-of-worker economy deadlock. We've had that come up quite a few times now and really the easiest solution would be to give the soldiers all of worker abilities (which would make sense for so many reasons like them being able to dig out mobs on their own instead of having a guaranteed 2-4 workers dying in every encounter or the fact that Formcia ants do not have a soldiers caste, etc.).

Mike said:
Workers have to repopulate the tiles with fresh eggs to grow into new soldiers. If your workers are preoccupied, dead or on a trail far away from the queen and nest chambers you won't get new ants hatching.

This is why it's always a good idea to keep a group of workers in the nest group (the leftmost one). If they're in that group they will pick up egg jobs as they appear.
The problem is that the nest group is hyperaggressive and can't be set to "don't fight" which means once the battle gets close to the queen (happens quite often because in most levels the queen is literally sitting next to the entrance) the workers will charge the enemy and die instead of placing eggs.

hi I first want to say I LOVE THIS GAME not put it down since I have downloaded it of steam I have done all the missions and played all other content cant wait for more. But I have noticed that more then once I build up my colony size to about 200-300 on level 1.1 using the challenge mode I want to see if using the bugs for food in challenge mode would make the hardier levels easier once you get to a certain point, but I notice after about 2-3hrs of this farming my workers stop doing there job of looking after the nest (replacing eggs and getting new ants) I noticed the tiles around the queen go dark black and there is no more eggs so there for you colony dies out as you get no replacement ants I had 100 workers and 200 soldiers and all were lvl 2-3 ill try it again today paying more attention to this today see if I can beat it

I mentioned this because i want to know if this is a bug is your queen meant to stop making eggs after a certain time/point or is this a bug as such and this should not happen also my be worth knowing about with the development of the free play mode