[Bug] 0.21141 Some bugs in formicarium mission 3.1

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
1. Taunting major ants appear to make some of my major ants attempt to target them when they can't reach them properly. (30 s in, the fight on the ramp. Not sure about this one, I might just be seeing things.)
2. After defeating the hillside colony its nest entrance does not fade out. This used to happen in previous versions. (If I remember correctly?)
3. Either dropped leaves near ramps and ants getting stuck after trying to reach them.
Or ants got stuck and got killed, dropped their leaves where other ants can get stuck too. (4min 40s. Happens on ramps throughout the mission.)

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
This is really helpful, but I'm going mad trying to get the ants stuck like that in 3.1. You said it happens on ramps throughout the mission, was there any pattern? E.g., particular ramps that were worse than others - also did the ants ever free themselves?

I'm going mad trying to get the ants stuck like that in 3.1.
I don't know if that's of any help but that also often happens on formicarium but at nest entrance, when the formicarium is big enough (I believe) loading it while ants are getting in or out of the formicarium makes the ants forget where are the holes in the ground and just wait there

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
This is really helpful, but I'm going mad trying to get the ants stuck like that in 3.1.
Maybe it helps to send a large number of ants over a ramp at once to get some ants stuck?

You said it happens on ramps throughout the mission, was there any pattern?
I think ants got stuck on the narrow ramps only?

particular ramps that were worse than others
I have not payed enough attention during play to have an answere.

also did the ants ever free themselves
On some ramps the ants were able to free themselves, on others they stayed stuck.

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Do you happen to have any more recordings of it happening? I'm trying every test I can come up with here, I've got a couple hundred minors all going up and down that ramp, with buttons to spawn enemies, randomly cull them, randomly spawn leaves, randomly displace them - still can't get anyone stuck. There must be a magic combination.

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I don't know if that's of any help but that also often happens on formicarium but at nest entrance, when the formicarium is big enough (I believe) loading it while ants are getting in or out of the formicarium makes the ants forget where are the holes in the ground and just wait there
Yeah I saw this, thanks - I am secretly hoping this is a different issue that's easily fixed but at this point anything could be connected.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Do you happen to have any more recordings of it happening? I'm trying every test I can come up with here, I've got a couple hundred minors all going up and down that ramp, with buttons to spawn enemies, randomly cull them, randomly spawn leaves, randomly displace them - still can't get anyone stuck. There must be a magic combination.
I had a recording, unfortunately I removed it earlier today to free up disk space. I can play that mission again and hopefully I can get a full recording for you.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Maybe you can take a look at one of the ramps in 3.2 mission.
From the south western island, the ramp leading from the first up to the top level. This ramp is one where my ants get stuck often, I think?

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Maybe you can take a look at one of the ramps in 3.2 mission.
From the south western island, the ramp leading from the first up to the top level. This ramp is one where my ants get stuck often, I think?
Will do, thanks

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Do you happen to have any more recordings of it happening?
I do have encountered something you will find interesting:
Have a look at around 26th minute, there is an ant that got stuck under a ramp.

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I do have encountered something you will find interesting:
Have a look at around 26th minute, there is an ant that got stuck under a ramp.
That's a juicy one!! I had it happen once to me and couldn't figure out how it got there. I think its really quite rare and at this point I might just put something on to detect if its happened and teleport it out rather than try to figure out why it is happening in the first place.

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
If you are still struggling with ramps, I suggest you take a look at mission 2.2. The lower ground ramps there have ants getting stuck on them.
It took too many attempts before I was willing to accept that our editor build of the game might have been acting differently to the live beta. It turns out that in the live build, extra collision boxes have been activated around the ramps - we aren't sure what has flicked them on but now we know what's happening it should be easy to sort it out.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
That's a juicy one!! I had it happen once to me and couldn't figure out how it got there. I think its really quite rare and at this point I might just put something on to detect if its happened and teleport it out rather than try to figure out why it is happening in the first place.
Using YT 0.25 video speed, I have seen where it happens. It is on screen at 25:29 (+/- a few seconds.)
I can see an ant suddenly teleporting below the ramp as soon as it has entered it.

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Using YT 0.25 video speed, I have seen where it happens. It is on screen at 25:29 (+/- a few seconds.)
I can see an ant suddenly teleporting below the ramp as soon as it has entered it.
Haha! Well spotted! Really odd that was, I've got some new ideas for tests from that though. Thanks.

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Got it! There is a tiny tiny gap in the ramp mesh here, I think its caused by a rounding error where two polygons meet. Usually if something managed to get inside a ramp like that, some emergency escape routine would guide it out, but this ant doesn't know anything is wrong. As far as she is concerned she is on the floor. I sprayed the area with 30,000 odd height checks before one fell through.ramptest.jpg