Freeplay - optional win criteria

Ace

Larva
First and foremost, thanks for the freeplay update. EOTU fans have been waiting for an update for a while and hopefully there are many more to come!

One suggestion for the freeplay mode would be to have a win criteria that you can select like the other features at the start of the mode. This would give the mode a bit more "purpose", rather than playing for a while and then quitting once you've had enough. The attack waves feature is nice but one of the advantages of freeplay mode is that it allows you to design and build up your colony in a more relaxed manner, which is something that the attack waves feature removes somewhat. (For intense gameplay I can do some of other levels on hard/insane.)

A win condition may be something like having a "king" insect on the map guarded by many other critters (maybe two or three ubers to protect him too) on the other side of the map surrounded perhaps by terrain so there is only one entrance point. This would give it a feeling of having to conquer an enemy base. This group of insects would either hold their position in the base so you only attack them when you are ready or slowly release attack waves. This would give the freeplay mode a goal rather than just building up your colony until you've had enough, whilst still maintaining that feel of building in a more relaxed and free environment.

Two or three ubers ? at the level I had to quit the game my ants were butchering a group of five Uber Wolf spider, two or three Uber creatures wouldn't be enough I think your "king" insect could make them spawn that would add a reason of appearing of the Uber and make a great challenge

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Optional Freeplay win conditions are likely to be a thing :) I imagine they'd come with a "Continue Playing" button, like the campaign levels do.

Win criteria would be interesting, this would make me play way more than i am now. At the moment i'm more active on the forum than on the game and it should be the other way around haha :p

Adding:
Time-Trial: You get 50min and you have to gather as much points as you can. The game ends after 50min and you will get the option to continue playing or just quitting and starting over to improve your game. Putting these records in a ranking system, would make this game competitive. I'm saying 50minutes for an example, might be 30mins or 90mins also. Don't know the perfect amount of time for that. It needs testing :p

Boss-Fight: Ace mentioned a boss fight located on the map. How hard the boss is, depends on the difficulty you started with. (This can also ramp, making quick early battles easier than late battles). The amount of points scored doesn't matter in this game but how quick you won this game. Adding this in the highscore system makes this also competitive to slay the boss on the fastest time possible.

Size-Matters: Reaching a certain number of ants to finish the game. For example, reaching 100 workers and 150 soldiers. Adding a highscore again that keeps the time you have finished it.

This territory is mine! / Enemy Slayer: Killing a certain amount of enemies. This can be in general 50creatures. But can also be split in 20 small,15medium,4big, 1Uber for example. Killing all these creatures ends the game. Keeping track of time and adding it to the highscores.

Gatherer: Gather an amount of food for example 20.000. Adding it to the highscores would make it competitive again. Tracking time of completion.

(In the Future) Skirmish: Kill all enemy colonies. No need keeping highscores but personal highscores in points would be funny. You can then compare points with the other colonies that played this game as the A.I. So a chart pops-up and you see the statistics of the game. How much food did they gather, how much soldiers did they make, how many died?

Adding these conditions (even a few of them) would improve this game alot, giving it purpose! Adding a global highscore list (set per difficulty) is something for the hardcore fans. Battling eachoter to get the first place on the highscore list. ;D ;D ;D