Game Balancing

Hakai

Larva
Finished the game to the content that was created and I feel like there are imbalances as where u need to complete certain levels to collect more royal jelly for upgrades. Without the upgrades you cannot finish the final challenge but completing the same stages over a few times is a waste of time as it takes too long as they're time based to complete and feels unnecessary.

I suggest make more levels maybe 3 prior to a challenge which would allow you to collect the royal jelly u need or provide a higher value of resources.

Maybe also make the level difficulty harder. I noticed if u got passed a the first few minutes with a decent economy you will never lose as your army can't be stopped. I found myself going out of my way to hunt everything on the map while i waited for the timed attacks. Another thing is you could afk and still win levels which is kinda lackluster :(

But overall this game looks promising and I look forward to further improvements

I'll say that i would be disappointed if we are only getting 2 levels with each ant species.
Also it would be cool if each ant species on the island had an intersecting story with Formica Ereptor, or at least one species story transitions into the next in some way.

Right now the gameplay is quite fun and interesting, but there should be some sense of continuity.

Kaien_Saerin

Worker
Backer
complete all the levels on hard and strictly choose royal jelly. I havent lost a scientist challenge yet. Only once on the 2nd one when i wasnt expecting wolfspiders to charge my queen. But 1.1 +1.2 +2.1 +2.2 +challenge modes for 1.1 & 1.2 is plenty of royal jelle for all 3 ants to be max level, with several side upgrades.

My game progress was like this:

1.1 (medium) => 1.2 (medium) => challenge 1 (Fail) => 1.1 (optional challenge) => 1.2 (optional challenge) => challenge 1 (win) => 2.1 (medium) => 2.2 (medium) => challenge 2 (loss due to spider rush) => challenge 2 (win)

This gave me almost enough royal jelly to max everything.

Kaien_Saerin

Worker
Backer
lol mine progress was 1.1 on Insane fail 5x, lower it too hard Success. 1.2 hard success. 2.1 Hard Fail, Fail, Fail, Success. Learning new over ground stuff was fun, learned the best order to take ants for food. 2.2 Hard Fail Fail Succes. Lots of trial and errors to be had, but playing the game at harder difficulties refines your game play.

Ensiege

Worker
Especially with RTS games, I've always been of a mind that if you are not playing on the hardest difficulty, then you are not really playing the game.

EotU has made me... rethink that outlook.

1.1 and 1.1 challenge are the only ones I can complete on insane. This is mostly because, even with the mole crickets, you set the pace of that map. The other 3 maps have time restrictions that I just can't keep up with on insane.

Also I lost to the challenges quite a lot, as I had to learn new mechanics and strategies. And even ended up restarting so that I could have a more optimal nest layout. (pro-tip: don't put warrior brood chambers to the north of your nest where your workers would have to walk past a battle to place more eggs. Put food to the north, brood chambers to the south and to the sides)

i beat the final scientist challenge with only 80 black ants that were at least lvl 2 i did this using 50 as a frontline inside the nest and 30 in the back to fight wolfspiders if you fight crowded enough by the nest entrance your 50 will all target most of the same once almost insta killing the ants as they come in and then you just have to leave the 30 ants by the queen for the wolf spiders and it was a clean finish. https://gyazo.com/107c93492b076e32460247263b2a9f5c as you can see in this screenshot if you have your entrance as a pinch point it will last infinite ants and the only thing to worry about would be the wolf spiders. i actually found that the challenges got to be too easy with this type of format and i was able to beat the second challenge without even completing all the levels