Having a renewable safe source of food

I dont know how this could be added and i dont know if it ever will i just thought it would be cool to have some sort of safe renewable food source underground that your workers can get easy food from. Like maybe invade enemy colonies kill their ants and take their queen and use her to make more larvae for your ants to kill? Just a cool thought for levels that last a while and you need a lot of food to keep your colony alive.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
::) umm... Do you know the concept of challenge, because that's the reason why games are fun? Maybe try surrounded if you want.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Leafcutters may get some variety of this, but it will require fuel.

Otherwise, this is a resource management RTS. If you need tips, I have them for whatever level you find extremely difficult.

1.1 requires you to not spend too much on new units, so that you can supply your current ones to expand.

1.2 requires that you expand faster than the slavemaker waves become stronger, meaning you must combat nearby enemies quickly and harvest food efficiently or you'll lose.

2.1 requires you to find enough food sources overground, with some help from the underground caches when needed, to supply an army that can survive each night's threats.

2.2 requires that you balance aphid farms, underground food, and anything you kill to survive the increasingly threatening waves of enemy ants.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
This sounds like it would make sense for a "peaceful" run of Freeplay. If you wanted to play Freeplay without much in the way of threats and spawning only passive creatures that you could consume, you would be able to. John is working on this mode at the moment.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Root aphids.
Just add one or two fields with a reduced aphid population to the underground to give players a low but steady food source so they can't starve out (which would really suck in freeplay).

Actually I must say I find the idea with the tide that brings in food a VERY elegant solution for a renewable food source and applaud you for that brilliant idea.

Btw, did you ever consider splitting food into sugars and protein for freeplay?
You'd need sugars to keep your ants running (if you run out of sugars and protein all your ants will start taking damage and start to die one after another after some time) and protein for your larvae to grow (your colony can live without one of them, although without protein you can't grow larvae).
That would give underground root aphids the role of a safeguard - when you run out of food your ants will start to die until the population hits a number that can be supported by the sugar output of the root aphids. To grow more ants you'd still need to go out and harvest dead insects or killing some.

It would also be cool if there were potential (empty) spots for root aphids that can be populated by the player so the sugar supply can grow with the colony (you click on the field and spend some food (like 50 food or so), then an ant walk to an existing root aphid farm, grabs one of the aphids and brings it to the new spot where it settles down and starts to slowly grow a new root aphid colony).

Diavid

Worker
Backer
Beta Tester
@Serafine

I also had this Idea.
But it is part of a bigger thing.

I wish there would be a simulation mode (next to the simplified freeplay mode and campain)
Wich simulates temperature, humidity, weather like rain and hot sun, the difference between sugars and proteins and so on..
But i will open a thread for this one day.