Insane difficulty even possible?

Mcgee

Larva
Im just wondering if the insane difficulty is even possible on the first level?
Getting real tired of spending an hour or two getting 2 squads of 32 ants, 1 squad of 4 workers and about 110 food for the immediate replacement wave.
and well got REAL pissed when the squad of worker ants REFUSED to dig the second tunnel to allow a flank attack from the second squad. They stood there behind the attacking squad doing nothing. So of course the last enemy section just wipes through the 32, then once they finish that wave and walk through the tunnel they see Flanking wave with no tunnel, Gobble them up and proceed to my queen. Infuriating.

What do you think. Strategy is flawed or its just not possible?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Yes, it's been done - but it is called "insane" for a reason.

You have to be aware of the way the job system and ant mechanics work, particularly for the harder difficulties. You're not commanding the ants like you would command a unit in Starcraft as such giving them strong suggestions.

Here's a video of 1.1 being done on insane difficulty by our very own forum member Balanite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrW_D4WeV1E

Mcgee

Larva
I mean it was only one tile to dig, and "attack" and "collect" where both turned off. standing in front of a dig spot for almost a full minute and doing nothing with your only job to be digging. and you dont do it? Sounds like a bug.

And after watching that video... So the only way to beat insane difficulty is play levels later on that teach you about leveling up ants? That's dumb. id have preferred a tutorial that taught me that in the first place. A tutorial independent of your formicarium

thanks for the input though.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
You are taught about leveling up the ants in the tips that pop up - make sure you read them. 1.1 teaches you all about the upgrade mechanic.

Attempting the levels on insane is not a recommended strategy first time round. I'd expect someone trying them to have completed the game comfortably on easier difficulties first.

Mcgee said:
I mean it was only one tile to dig, and "attack" and "collect" where both turned off. standing in front of a dig spot for almost a full minute and doing nothing with your only job to be digging.

I would imagine those were soldiers. Soldiers don't dig - only workers do.

There's a thread on this exact topic on the second page of this board. To sum it up, yes it's possible, multiple people have done it, and there are videos online for each mission on Insane (with challenge mode on where applicable) by Rayalot72 and Balanite. Upgrading ants is the strategy for 1.1 and 2.2, while sheer numbers are better for 1.2 and 2.1. Additionally, workers are more cost-effective tanks compared to melee ants in both 2.1 and 2.2. You'll want rapid fire for 2.1 and mortars for 2.2.

Specifically for 1.1, getting 19 level 3 soldiers and reserving the rest of the food for respawns should do the trick. Also, once you gain access to the first two woodlouse chambers, you can dig tunnels between the enemy groups to get to the third woodlouse chamber and the woodworm chamber.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
110 food is waaaaay too little. It's much better to have about 1,000 stored to allow multiple soldier waves, which would enable you take gradually take on the largest groups of foes.

Ensiege

Worker
Using upgraded ants in 1.1 is EXTREMELY difficult...

Using 57 L1 ants is MUCH easier. Dig out large ambush chambers (at LEAST 2) and have 3 groups of 19 surround and attack from 3 different angles. Let the enemies come to you. After you engage at the first chamber, set your markers to the second chamber so respawns are ready for a second fight.

Fighting in narrow corridors, you will lose. If you can't bring a numerical advantage to bear, you are not playing to your ONLY strength. Also, you want at least 300-500 food reserves. Rayalot72 1000 food reserves on the first level I'm not sure that's even possible without crickets..? It's been a while. I'll give it a go tonight.

Upgrading your ants in 1.1 and 1.2 missions is almost never a good idea... At least not for insane difficulty.

Ensiege

Worker
So yea, just did 1.1 insane and after 57 black ants and 14 workers, I only had 740 food left for the final battle. The extra workers speed things up, which is not necessary on 1.1 without challenge mode, but without them, I suppose I could have BARELY amassed 1000 food. Takes 285 food to respawn my army, and I never really need more than 1 full respawn for the final battle.

Maybe 2 if I get a bad engagement, which happens sometimes... One stray ant could start an engagement in a choke point and ruin everything. The devs don't want this game to play like a standard RTS with total control and micro strategy, but when you play on insane you HAVE TO work around those limiting game mechanics as much as you can.

Ensiege said:
Using upgraded ants in 1.1 is EXTREMELY difficult...

Upgrading your ants in 1.1 and 1.2 missions is almost never a good idea... At least not for insane difficulty.

Absolutely and completely wrong. lmao

Please go watch Balanite's videos on youtube. 1.1 he never went above 38 ants and building workers on this level is a complete waste of food.

Ensiege

Worker
I've watch all of Balanite's videos EXCEPT 1.1... for 1.1 I went right to his video on challenge mode. I just went back and watched his 1.1 video.

I can say without shame that Balanite is a better player than I am. But I am confident enough to say that the fact that he used so many upgraded ants in 1.1 was him showing off. I've done it before, too, just to verify that it can be done. It can and I have. However, it is not a good idea.

Watch his 1.1 video on challenge mode, where he needs better coverage and A STRONGER ARMY and uses 63 ants instead of 38. The few upgrades he gets at the end are just to spend excess food.

"Absolutely and completely wrong. lmao"

Nothing you quoted was wrong. There was an entire thread devoted to this issue about how much stronger 3 L1 ants are compared to a single L3 ant for the same cost. If you can beat 1.1 on insane using upgraded ants, good for you. Insane, isn't it? Now try it with a swarm of L1 ants and you will find it MUCH easier. You'll finish with several hundred excess food instead a few dozen that Balanite had after his entire army wiped and respawned twice... I suggest you give yourself more room to fight than Balanite does, you can get a full surround pretty easily with an ambush chamber instead of the ambush 'corridor' that Balanite uses.

Oh, and, lol, with so many soldier ants, it might be a good idea to get a few extra workers to respawn them faster.

Just checked it out. Had about 57 soldiers and built 7 workers, but I had to tear down a few tiles for food so I ended up with 49 soldiers and no additional workers.

I'd say both strategies are about the same in terms of results. The last time I did upgrades, a couple beetles almost got to my food tiles, but I had about 250 food left over. Going for sheer numbers, all five adult beetles were still alive when I had to cannibalize my nursery tiles, but they were kept a decent distance from the queen.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I always go for 38 soldiers, that seems to be the safer number. Generally, respawns will be more worthwhile than the sheer quantity, particularly when you reach the point where you'll be respawning them at the same rate that they die.