Layers of undergrowth

As the title suggests, layers of the undergrowth are basically just levels to dig entrances up to finally reach the surface. Let's say an ant queen burrowed too deep in the nest and took too long to lay eggs. During that time, the hot Sun managed to dry the dirt until it's brittle on the outside and it caves in. So basically, when the game starts, you start at level '3'. You have the decision to either dig yourself up to the surface(you have to dig out to level '2' and '1' and finally dig the surface entrance), or clear each level and take things slow. To make things interesting, the areas where bugs reside in will contain much more hostile insects after it is far enough from the exit/entrance, forcing you to dig up a level, use the food of that level, hit the point where there are no more easy insect pockets, go down to the level you started and clear out the hard to kill pockets of insects with more ants you invested in while clearing the upper level. Rinse and repeat until you reach the surface(unless you want to rush to the surface then ok). To balance it out, the entrances/exits are very close to each other and the queen, making it somewhat hard to intercept invaders. To keep you on your toes, the starting level will be plain, nothing special, the upper level will contain a slow but renewable food source, like woodlice burrowing into your tunnel system every once in a while, and the level just beneath the surface, will have something like mole crickets or other burrowing insects that will rush your queen unless intercepted, that spawns every several minutes.

Of course, such a feature does not apply to every level or freeplay mode. Perhaps choose a species or two that will experience this, as freeplay mode seems nice as it is.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
Interesting but I suggest you make your format easier to read because I had a hard time getting it all. (Not criticising GRAMMAR!)

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Different floors would be quite nice. That would actually be very useful in freeplay, as you could have a floor below you that has underground enemies, which could reset (cave in or something) every once in a while.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
An early design choice was not to do this. There are bunch of reasons - the primary one being over-complication of the underground experience.

Mike said:
An early design choice was not to do this. There are bunch of reasons - the primary one being over-complication of the underground experience.

Honestly this is the best. Adding layers just makes an underground scene for the underground, and adds too many surfaces to keep up with. Any 3D element would also make the controls extremely unwieldy and also be a nightmare for path finding.

I think a 2D grid is best, and the best way I think to get a 3D abstraction is if you could build chambers at a certain depth. Or depress rooms to represent those chambers being deeper under ground. And I think this is only worth it if there is a mechanic that ties into it like temperature.