Mid-week Progress Post: How to balance an ant battle

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Balance in any game is a crucial issue. A single changed digit in a number can mean the difference between a unit being horribly overpowered or pathetically useless. When you're dealing with the frantic dynamics of an RTS battle, the issue is compounded.

In order to quickly ascertain the fighting strength of the various kinds of ants in the upcoming Empires of the Undergrowth early access build, game designer John made this simple level which allows him to spawn in various kinds of ants on two opposing teams to see how they interact. Until you actually see the stats at work in large battles, it's really next to impossible to predict how they'll actually match up.

Which leads us to this question - would you guys like a level where you can just spawn things in to try them out in the game? Something like John's doing here, just for the fun of it? Leave your thoughts below - we always read them all.

Also - this clip shows off our dynamic music system rather well. Note how the music changes tone when the fighting starts!

HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uLJ4FHpS1X4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Yes, a level like this would be really nice to try out specific units, test army compositions, examine what composition counters another composition best and to make an fps stress test.

If there are any upgrades or special abilities (area buffs) in the game you should be able to use these as well in this battle sandbox. Dota2 has something similar and it is very useful.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
No. I think this should be a tool for modders, but you should be able to make an arena yourself in the sandbox instead of it being a built in tool.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Redmoth27 said:
No. I think this should be a tool for modders, but you should be able to make an arena yourself in the sandbox instead of it being a built in tool.

Don't worry, it wouldn't replace any prospective "sandbox" mode. Just be there to have fun with in the meantime (because "sandbox", if we do make it, is a long way off yet).

Ensiege

Worker
Hey, can John edit this test map to produce units of different levels? Like... 10 L3 black ants vs 30 L1 black ants... Would help settle a question currently being discussed about upgrades and are they a waste of food.

I tried to replicate such a battle in the Formicarium challenge by sending out smaller groups of L3 black ants to fight the (presumably) L1 invading ants. (mine were bigger and had slightly faster attack speed) Without the formicarium buffs (like 50% damage reduction) the more numerous ants would wipe the floor with the stronger ants. But this is at best sketchy, because you can't really control how many of your ants decide to follow your pheromone trail... 3 against 1 was a landslide.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
John plans to add this map to the build - maybe before he gets freeplay out to our beta testers.

fireflame

Larva
Balance is important, on the other hand i feel it can be interesting to maintain the natural advantages some species retain over others. Some ants species are advantaged because they have bigger anthills, are smaller, etc. Of course there has to be a balnc ein the game too.