Performance Problems

Hello,

My computer has a performance problem with the game even when meeting the requirements to play. It seems when I turn on shadows the entire game lags and has bad FPS but when I turn shadows off the game has no issues. I've tried this with every setting in the game's graphics options and the only one that changes the FPS is the shadows.

I'm playing on a laptop that runs games like Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, etc... on max settings with no FPS drops. Surely these games take many more resources than EotU, so does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Thank you

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
We'll need a bit more information to try to get to the bottom of your issues - EotU is not a very resource-hungry game in general. Of note though is that all 3 of the games you posted as examples are Blizzard games and do not use Unreal Engine 4 like EotU does.

To start with could you please post your system specs?

Thanks for the response. Here are the specs

Windows 8 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 6GB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
NVidia geforce GTX 660M 2GB

I just noticed something in steam in the store options for the game it actually says MINIMUM requirement for this game is 2GB of video memory i misread that as just requirements so that's probably why I can't run the game with shadows since I only have 2GB total video memory :(

But that would bring me to another question; are all people who play this game REALLY playing with more than 2GB of memory on their video card? I may be behind with the technology but I always thought that 2GB was on the higher end when it came to cards

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I use 3GB, and that's arguably a little behind for gaming.

My friend's PC can run EotU with an immense quantity of ants onscreen, and be quite fine (that might be something else though).

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
4gb is about standard these days. If you spend a little to get slightly better than the average you'll likely have 8 (I bought a GTX 1070 last year which has 8 ).

The main point is quite simply - although we're far from going all out on in graphical capabilities, Unreal Engine 4 is a modern engine that requires recent hardware to max out. I'll have the devs read over this thread, though, in case there's anything I've missed.

Speznat

Worker
I have a 980ti on 4k Screen, everything ultra and at 150 ants i drop under 30fps.
from 80-130 its 40-60fps so its good performance i think.
and graphics looking real good and profesionale keep up the good graphics that impresses people a lot. they often think indi and alpha games are 99% garbage but with empires of the undergrowth there first impresiion is wow, thats good graphics and a gameplay ive ever wanted :)

keep up the good work.

Planemaster

Worker
Rendering shadows for each individual ant is going to be hugely resource intensive - especially with your GPU as it doesn't have the speed to process it. Most games don't go beyond 3GB of VRAM when playing at 1080p so it generally isn't the issue.