Progress Post: AI Nest Excavation

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
We thought we'd show you something Liam has been working on recently. In this video, you can see an AI routine deciding how to dig out an underground nest!

The AI ant colony that Liam has been coding (which will be used in future campaign levels, and quite possibly in an as-yet unconfirmed Skirmish mode) can now make decisions about how it goes about building its nest. The flashing colors represent it searching for areas where it can dig out hexagon-shaped rooms whilst also searching for places to build paths. It tries to keep the paths separate from the rooms for ant traffic efficiency.

In the current campaign level 2.2 "Queen of the Hill", the player faces off against 2 rival colonies. These have only extremely basic AI that is based on scripting, but we loved the idea of confronting a computer-controlled opponent that can come to decisions intelligently and genuinely try to beat you!

The way it's been set up, it's highly unlikely that the AI will come to the same nest design on any two given play-throughs - so each time you play a level, the computer will dig out its nest differently!

HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d0n9uBd1iUo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Speznat

Worker
5months without, patch, come on at least puplish the stuff you have an add the other stuff later. i was really antisipated for the next patches, but now i have the mod since dezember that this project is driving itself to the wall, sry but. many people bought it, and expect patches, and only a very little percentage of these people actually searching if there was an update, they just never see it in the steam updater and say well played cash cow.

many have the feeling that oyu just take money and doing nothing, sure i know you are really working and working hard, i know that i see the videos and stuff and inform me, but there are many people out there that have no clue and just complaining that eotu is scam company, atleast show presense to them like a popup at game startup or wwhatever that plops into there faces that you are still working on it.

im sick of reading that slug disco are scamy company because its simply not true, but please slap the people in the face and show them we are working, we are still there. because they dont search for patches. slap them hard thx

since im knowing this game i have also realife ants now xD really cool

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Speznat said:
5months without, patch, come on at least puplish the stuff you have an add the other stuff later. i was really antisipated for the next patches, but now i have the mod since dezember that this project is driving itself to the wall, sry but. many people bought it, and expect patches, and only a very little percentage of these people actually searching if there was an update, they just never see it in the steam updater and say well played cash cow.

many have the feeling that oyu just take money and doing nothing, sure i know you are really working and working hard, i know that i see the videos and stuff and inform me, but there are many people out there that have no clue and just complaining that eotu is scam company, atleast show presense to them like a popup at game startup or wwhatever that plops into there faces that you are still working on it.

im sick of reading that slug disco are scamy company because its simply not true, but please slap the people in the face and show them we are working, we are still there. because they dont search for patches. slap them hard thx

since im knowing this game i have also realife ants now xD really cool

We're not going to give you guys glitchy half-finished stuff, mostly because we wouldn't want to be given that but also because we know a very vocal minority would be out in force if that happened.

You can expect patches all you like, but we're no PUBG. Our team is small and we're new to game dev - we can't afford, and don't want, to put out content that is glitchy to the masses. It would only be to our detriment and ultimately yours.

Anyone who puts 30 seconds of research into it will see that we're working on things with regular newsletters (a new one of which is due in a few days). I'm not sure how we should be communicating to the "decided we're never updating and haven't even done a quick Google on it before complaining" crowd. I don't think we can.

I think its great that you are taking the time to make sure the updates will be well done and I can wait however long it takes, but seeing posts like this make the waits much better and are honestly super interesting to watch. Just keep up the good work and give periodic teasers and progress updates and all of the reasonable people should be extremely satisfied.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
I think Mikes is that way because that's his face when your idea is not approved in suggestions! :eek: ;D

https://youtu.be/5LlQNty_C8s?t=8

Raptorofwar

Queen
Backer
My profile pic is an R because it's asking you to R-ethink your life choices.

/shrug

I dunno. I'm too lazy to change it, and I didn't set it in the first place.