Progress Post: The Freeplay Launch Screen

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
We haven't done a Progress Post for a while since we've been working away at the new stuff, but there's some interesting bits we can show you now.

Here's a preview of the launch screen for the upcoming Freeplay Mode! As you can see, there will be lots of starting options for this mode so you can play the game how you like.

Want a challenge? Have regular spawnings of aggressive enemies. Want a relaxed, endless sandbox-like experience? Disable nest invasion and your colony will never die! Or how about some occasional mega-tough single enemies? Enabling Uber creatures is for you!

We expect the basic form of Freeplay Mode to be out in February, and it will continue to be expanded on over time.

wENrYhI.jpg

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
If anyone wants to see some of the development of this (although it's unedited and long) we've been uploading some streams of John's work to Youtube (we stream on Twitch). I stayed with John for a week and we did 5 streams, but usually he only streams once a week.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtHilwcTxOVg5RxEWCDfcwA

Speznat

Worker
very cool options :)

i cant wait to try it out.

do you have a release date for that mode?
than i can inform my company that i need 1 or two days break time.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Speznat said:
very cool options :)

i cant wait to try it out.

do you have a release date for that mode?
than i can inform my company that i need 1 or two days break time.

Haha, I can sympathize there! We don't have a specific date yet other than it's probably towards the end of next month - we'll try to give a bit of notice before we set the patch live.

Telinoz

Larva
Once you start a colony in freeplay mode with some settings, will you be able to toggle some on and off?

Say I decide to take it easy and build up a colony, later can I toggle the Uber creatures on and nest invasion to test out how robust my colony is?
Then when done, turn things off again to keep building up etc.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Telinoz said:
Once you start a colony in freeplay mode with some settings, will you be able to toggle some on and off?

Say I decide to take it easy and build up a colony, later can I toggle the Uber creatures on and nest invasion to test out how robust my colony is?
Then when done, turn things off again to keep building up etc.

An option for changing options would be nice.

I wouldn't like the option of changing once you start the game because it would feel too much like surrounded freeplay level where you can do anything you want and not suffer any consequences or loss. It would feel more realistic to pick your settings from the beginning and then actually start a colony in the wild and adapt to any challenges you may face, just like real ants do. (or perish if you're not strong enough to survive)

TL;DR: The ability to change options during actual game-play would make things too scripted and unrealistic. Just my two cents