Shadows

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I zoom all the way in the shadows are crystal clear and when I zoom all the way out they are kind of blurry and slightly flickering. Is it something on my end? Already updated NVidia driver to most recent

ive tested it for a moment but they were clear all the time

maybe your fps counter is not good/high enough or something

I'm running a 144 monitor at 1080p with a GTX 1070, the fps is probably in the hundreds. It's not lagging or anything, the shadows just flicker when zoomed out.

The only thing I can think of is that I copied these saved game files over from another computer, with another operating system. If that's what's causing it then I'd rather just start new

Here's a video I recorded of what I'm talking about. It happens with every shadow in the game. (make sure to play the video in 1080p)

https://vimeo.com/260544936

Bumping this because it's not getting any attention. I really want to know what's up with the shadows or if it's on NVidia's end

Matt

Worker
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Hi JonnyC289,

what you're seeing is an artefact that I think everybody will be seeing, so I wouldn't call it an NVidia error. It's more just a side affect of using a game engine designed for First Person Shooters as a basis for a top-down RTS.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a rounding issue in the hardware that's causing the issue, and it's particularly worsened by low and gradually moving light, both of which occur quite frequently in the game.

That said, we don't think it's a huge matter for concern and look forward to innovations in the engine that help us alleviate it.

Matt said:
Hi JonnyC289,

what you're seeing is an artefact that I think everybody will be seeing, so I wouldn't call it an NVidia error. It's more just a side affect of using a game engine designed for First Person Shooters as a basis for a top-down RTS.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a rounding issue in the hardware that's causing the issue, and it's particularly worsened by low and gradually moving light, both of which occur quite frequently in the game.

That said, we don't think it's a huge matter for concern and look forward to innovations in the engine that help us alleviate it.

Thanks for the response Matt. You and the team are doing a great job! I'm excited for freeplay, but I'm gonna wait until we can save our colonies. Just looked at the changelog now, great stuff ;D