[Suggestion] Ants using fastest path instead of shortest path in the nest

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
As far as I've seen, ants use absolute distance, not relative distance to see how to get somewhere fastest. All tiles are the same size in distance, but not in travel time. So ants try to walk the shortest path rather than the fastest. By expressing tile size in speed on that tile instead of actual tile size the ants will likely walk the fastest path.
So if the player were unable to place fast movement chambers on the shortest path, the ants will still use the fast move chamber as long as it is faster than the alternative.

Mr_Ced

Colony
This is why the developers want to encourage chambers and hallways instead of just one big chamber. It looks better and gets rid of this issue.

It can be a struggle at times with the Leafcutters, since you need your minims to transport waste and leaves faster. I would like to suggest "minim" hallways or one-way tiles, to allow to player to choose which is fastest route.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
My solution for leafcutters is to make minim tunnels on the sides, so they're fastest connections to relevant chambers but not as close to the entrance as the main tunnel. This can be somewhat hard to get away with on some maps, though.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
This is a basic philosophical issue of how EotU is designed. The ants will follow the shortest paths, via A* pathfinding (or jump point in the currently running beta). The ants will find the shortest path; it's down to the player to design that path to be the most efficient - using walls and speed tiles.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
This is a basic philosophical issue of how EotU is designed. The ants will follow the shortest paths, via A* pathfinding (or jump point in the currently running beta). The ants will find the shortest path; it's down to the player to design that path to be the most efficient - using walls and speed tiles.
When my minims have multiple fastest options they will use both:
20200107115531_1.jpg
And I can't add a wall to regulate their movement.