THE BETA HAS BEGUN!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
"Ah. I see the queen has taken well to her new home".

Those of you who backed the beta tier of the game on Kickstarter or Paypal - THE BETA HAS BEGUN! Your current Steam copy of the demo will update to become the new beta build.

If you backed the beta tier but don't have a Steam copy of the game yet, please check your emails. A few months back you will have been sent a key to the email associated with your backing method. If you cannot find it, please send us a message and we'll do our best to sort it for you.

But for now, go and play! We look forward to your feedback .

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
HOYP!

Tea+for+Two+Hundred+4.jpg

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Don't worry, the beta won't be a long one. Basically the beta backers are helping us out with glitches and balace issues - so in a few weeks when the general release happens te game will be much more fun to play :)

hawkeyes65

Larva
Backer
well when it comes out i guess i will still have to look for glitches and other things i want to be a beta tester but if not i will be looking for things whe i get on it i became a backer did'nt get my badge yet

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Hi Hawkeyes - this is a closed beta for our Kickstarter backers. But don't worry, it will not be an extended beta, only a few weeks. In the meantime, download the backer's demo from itch.io and enjoy your exclusive supporter's level, Holdout!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Raptorofwar said:
A few weeks...
Every day I get more and more confused about what a few means.
4? If so that's a month.

If we specify an exact date before we're sure, we have a very good chance of creating disappointment. That's why we're super cautious of doing that. Now that the beta is out, we're confident we can respond to beta tester's feedback on balance, finish the things we have to finish, and correct glitches in short order.

We're not sure because it's only been a few of us playing for so long, so we ourselves don't have an unbiased opinion of what a balanced level is for a new player. There are likely undiscovered - potentially game-breaking - problems that will be unearthed. None of this is very predictable.

For example - we intended to release the beta to beta backers early in the week when we started teasing it, but our friends & family testers running lower-end hardware than we develop on consistently reported crashes. We found that the cause of it was within Unreal Engine itself, and would likely be fixed by us upgrading our engine version. So we did - but with an engine upgrade, comes a host of changes to the way the engine operates, so we have to re-test everything to make sure it works. Lo and behold, a bunch of new problems to deal with.

We're far from unique in this regard. Even the really huge developers have trouble pinning down release dates beyond "Q1", etc. The old developer adage of "When it's done" is a thing for a reason. But in this case, we're confident that we're talking weeks, not months :)