A couple more suggestions

The pheromone system is beautiful, but I'd love to see some complex colonies. I don't know what the current max is on ants, I'd imagine 100 or so isn't a problem. What about 1000 ants?
Too much?
Something I thought of was the possibility of grouping ants together as a single entity (smaller ants?) I remember when I was a child, I'd always find these little orange ants that'd come in the thousands, they were really good at digging and smelled really horrible when squished.

Anyway, the pheromone system, I was thinking it could be expanded into a more complex structure. I was thinking something like - alt + A-Z, and instead of having roman numerals for the pheromone markers, you could just put a giant capital letter. This allows 26 different possible swarms doing 26 different tasks. I don't imagine anyone would necessarily require that many, but it'd be so amazing especially for sandbox play. As for color coding, I would color code it based on which functions are being performed. Prevent attack? Blue marker. Prevent gathering? Red marker. Prevent both? Yellow marker. Prevent neither? Green marker.
PLEASE let this be a thing.
You could even add numerals if you wanted to go for a 36 max pheromone marker.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I have a pretty decent graphics card and my frames start dropping at about 500 entities, so...