Ants need ramps

Ensiege

Worker
So I was sure I would find a forum topic about this already, but surprisingly no.

Why do ants have to utilize ramps in 2.1 and 2.2? Why can't they just scale the 90 degree cliffs? Its basically a defining characteristic of ants that they can scale walls as easily as they can walk. Not that I actually mind, nor does anyone else apparently... I mean it really is forgivable in a game like this.

But why not make a more impassible terrain type? Or have the narrator comment an explanation on the slippery mud of the cliffs that ants have to avoid or something? Basically, why the choice to overlook something like this?

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Gameplay reasons. Also not all ants can walk well on vertical surfaces, Tetramorium and Messor ants for example are pretty crappy climbers.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Yep, basically because we're making an RTS and not an all-out simulator. If we wanted ants crawling on every surface we'd probably have to rip out all the current pathing code and start from scratch - which would set us back significantly. That's not to say we can't make improvements on this for future levels.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Tbh, a fully open map would be extremely boring. The limited navigation simply makes a part of the game, for better or for worse.