Colony Size Issue?

Ok, so, right now my formicarium colony is at maximum capacity with 30 workers (most max level), 61 black ants (most max level) and 52 wood ants (most max level). I am at 150/150 and I've been thinking about it being an issue in the future. This is because I'm pretty sure you only get to have your formicarium max capacity increased every time you do a formicarium challenge, right? So when 3.1 and 3.2 come out along with level 3's own formicarium challenge, I might miss out on having a 4th type of ant in my formicarium colony because I am at max capacity, and I don't want to sell my ants to make room if the new ant type is worth it (if it even is a thing when that update comes out). If I do have to sell my ants, I fear that selling them won't give me back the amount of food i spent on upgrading them, which could suck, because then i would have to do extra missions in order to get the food i need back in order to get my formicarium colony back to a state i prefer. If i am wrong about the whole selling and max capacity of ants thing, please let me know and tell me if this is an issue. I really love this game and i absolutely wouldn't mind doing missions over again because of how much fun the game is, i mean, i already do missions extra times for more stuff. But i still would like to know if i have to just to know.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
You'll probably need to sell them. You have overkill anyway, any new formicarium challenge risks being extremely easy at that many wood/black ants (25 of each already wins most battles).

Ensiege

Worker
Whatever the third formicarium challenge is, I'm sure that is enough ants to take care of it.

(enter dev with ominous laugh)

The next ant is leafcutter I think. I don't know what the formicarium unit for it would be, but its probably going to be food related anway... so no bearing on your army strength.

After the third challenge, your max number of ants should increase, so you'll have room for the new ants...

And you should still grind a couple more missions. You'll need royal jelly to unlock the new ants and tech them up, and you can never have too much food.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
The 3rd challenge probably involves mole crickets (let's face it, it's the obvious thing) so you need two blobs - one blob (soldiers are sufficient) at the queen and one blob (including all the brokenly overpowered AOE shooters which just nuke EVERYTING off the face of the universe) at the entrance.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Serafine said:
The 3rd challenge probably involves mole crickets (let's face it, it's the obvious thing) so you need two blobs - one blob (soldiers are sufficient) at the queen and one blob (including all the brokenly overpowered AOE shooters which just nuke EVERYTING off the face of the universe) at the entrance.

Presume nothing.

Thanks for the feedback, it's what i thought, if the new ants are worth it, ill sell some of my ants to make room, if not, I'll just use the army i already have to complete the formicarium challenge, then get the new ants maybe.

Raptorofwar

Queen
Backer
Serafine said:

Mole crickets are an interesting enemy, which you could intercept on the surface. It'd be a reason to fight on the surface of the formicarium, instead of turtling up at the entrance.

Then again, don't forget the hordes of new enemies which will be added with leafcutters. And I believe leafcutters, besides food, are also meant as tanks, so maybe replacing some of the black ants with more tanks is worth considering.