Formicarium mission problems

I think there are a few problems with the first formicarium mission.
After trying it, I think it should be said by the mission description that in order to complete the mission you need a pretty big amount of warrior ants, otherwise you are pretty much screwed. Either that, or the number of invaders needs to be reduced.
As it is, it's perfectly doable, but someone who faces it for the first time will remain completely dumbfounded seeing the massive amount of enemy you face in this mission. It needs a warning or a reduction.

Raptorofwar

Queen
Backer
Well, there's really no harm in undertaking besides wasting a bit of the player's time. And it really is part of the theme of the game, to have the player go "Oh God, this guy's insane" and then "You added WHAT? WHY?"

AntFked

Larva
I don't think anything needs to be done about it, if every mission can be done in the first go without knowing what's coming the game would be too easy. I like the fact that you can fail on a mission and go "oh that didn't work, let's try something else".

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Set a team of 5 soldiers to hold off the ereptor. They're workers, so they're really no threat in the end.

sicklag

Larva
AntFked said:
I don't think anything needs to be done about it, if every mission can be done in the first go without knowing what's coming the game would be too easy. I like the fact that you can fail on a mission and go "oh that didn't work, let's try something else".

I agree with the OP. I am not new to such kind of games and I am not a crier, I am a trier. But would I be younger without any knowledge about RTS games, this can cause frustrations.

There is a point where the game mechanic feels(it's a feeling I don't want to say it IS unbalanced!) very unbalanced.

I tried alot possible ways to solve the first gateway mission. And I will try alot more to get this $%&!"§ complete.

Just one way:
-tier3 war-ants like 16(I know it should be more but the food I found was empty after upgrading)
-tier3 -2 worker 21
-all food on the map is empty
-the first wave with devil's coach horse and the "very few" food pellets the "doc" is throwing in are not enough to get the lost ants back(in every way I tried[maybe I should try more])

The sidemissions 1.1 and 1.2 are "easy" compared to the gateway mission. I needed 2 turns to solve each mission. But the gateway mission. IDK it needs some more polishment.

Raptorofwar said:
Well, there's really no harm in undertaking besides wasting a bit of the player's time. And it really is part of the theme of the game, to have the player go "Oh God, this guy's insane" and then "You added WHAT? WHY?"

In the first 10 rounds I also feeled like what you wrote, but after a while it was like:yeah make it more hardcore mr. doc, let's see how we can kill them all-without to give them a time to recover. This "doc" needs a new job or a better sex life.

Since this mission is doable like the other mission before this is" but someone who faces it for the first time will remain completely dumbfounded seeing the massive amount of enemy you face in this mission. It needs a warning or a reduction. " important.

Remember there are kids even 8-10 years old and want to try this game.There are not so many nice games for kids.And I know alot of kids would love to play games like EOTU.

Maybe a regulator would be helpful, a timer for the next wave etc. OR the lady should come more into the room to check out what the crazy doc is doing

I am a huge fan of TD-games and EOTU has alot similaries.

Some off topic question. It feels like the enemy ants don't use the pheromone, they just walk the straightest way. Do they have the same pathfinding behavior like the "colony ants"?

At least this game is going to be a gem. It feels good for what I saw, needs like every new thing some polishment. You guys are doing an amazing job to realize a game like this.

Thank you for reading

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Challenge 1 is easy if you know what you're doing.

It seems that you don't have nearly enough food, as the stuff the scientist drops isn't supposed to respawn everything. Note that you can upgrade food storage tiles for a lot more than what they were originally (10 + 30 + 40).